Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Dvd Drive Cannot Read Dvd Disc

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WarHero

WarHero

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hi All,
I have a Samsung "TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U" DVD Drive. The driver is up-to-date and the version availale on the Samsung Driver Download section was 5.1.2535.0, US version 6.0. This is the last driver released on their website.

Problem:
This drive is unable to read any of the DVDs inserted. Brand new games, movie DVD. However, CD is read correctly.
It takes a lot of time and displays the message "Insert Disc into Drive"
Also,
I have noticed that, if I have a DVD in the drive and boot my system, my system freezes at the Boot step itself halting at "Detecting IDE Devices section"
If I just eject the drive the boot moves on, again if I load the disc, my OS is not loaded, computer is frozen.

There was no problem before as my DVD was working fine. There are several DVDs which it has read without any problem.

Config:
WIndows XP SP2
DVD Drive name is listed below, latest driver installed
Was working fine before, very good condition
DVD Disc are in good condition, in fact new disc with 0 scratches and dust.

Request help.
Thanks,
WarHero

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:20 AM

Try the fix given in the following Microsoft article:

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 WarHero

WarHero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the response. I tried the fix. But it doesnt work. I still have the same problem. I did not get any error code as shown in the Fix notes.
Request Help.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

Even though your driver is up-to-date, try reinstalling it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

....and you might check your connections to the drive (and jumper setting) and ensure that it's correctly identified in the BIOS.

I would also check Event Viewer for errors indicating a drive problem.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

he gave a BIG clue people, the boot hands at the bios detecting devices when there is a dvd in the drive and will not go past it till the disc is removed. what make and model is your PSU?

#7 WarHero

WarHero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:18 AM

Checked Event Viewer,No errors. MY PSU is I suppose 400W and has been in good shape. I might think it is not affecting.
Here are some stats

1. BIOS does detect when there is no Disc inserted in the drive. Hangs as per my 1st post when disc is in.

2. My Services show that Shell Hardware Detection for Autoplay is on

3. My HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Explorer > "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" has a value
0000 95 00 00 00 which I think is right to allow Auto Insert Notification

4. Tried uninstalling my driver and let window auto detect. No help. Reinstalled drivers, No Help.

5. Tried the Autofix provided by Microsoft which is supposed to fix Auto Play problems
The result its shows is as below

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2007-11-20 21:24:46]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [L:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [L:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

____

If you notice that bold area shows it is Silent and Deaf whereas I know it should be Fired and Triggered repsectively as seen in this link below
http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=6952

NOW,
I dont know how to set these to those values.

Please help. Kind of tired searching :thumbsup:(

#8 WarHero

WarHero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

A quick note. When I use AutoFix it does show a problem because of which the above report is generated

Legacy AutoPlay Event
AutoPlay V2 Event

Are two things that are shown having a problem.
The tool is unable to repair this so it says.

#9 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'd try getting a new cable for the drive in question, if that does not do it, the drives failing. since it's not a window issue. it's a hardware issue, because of the fact that it hangs when a disc is in it at bootup, but will finish booting when the disc is removed.

#10 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

I've had almost that excact problem with a lite-on. It was going out the bin, but since I needed 2 burners at the time I just flashed it for the fun of it.
It works fine to this day both dvds and cds.
I'm not sure if you have done a firmware update, but why not if you running out of options.
Someone pointed out to me the dvd/cd laser are differnt components in the drive, so it might well be though that Robert Isbell has a valid point.

Don't see what autoplay has to do with it?

Hope I didn't miss any info here. :thumbsup:

#11 WarHero

WarHero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:39 AM

Ok, here is an update of what I have been upto.
I did a firmware update again. I was told that Power DVD and Nero can affect your DVD drive. I just started both of them, checked if they were blocking Auto Play, they weren't.

I got hold of two more DVDs, different ones. One a Movie DVD and the other Half Life 2 DVD. Both worked just fine - Autoplay, Read and looks good.

But, my Original Brand New NFS Carbon DVD which was the first DVD I had tried to get it to work (My Problem DVD) is still not being read.
I can just hear the DVD drive Wizz but no autoplay and goes back to the first post of this thread.
THe DVD is clean tried claeaning it again, No scratches. It looks just perfect but doesnt run. Humpf!

Suprisingly, Autofix log shows as per my POST 7 even now (BOTH FOR A WORKING DVD AND THE CARBON DVD). The link in POST 7 shows Fired and Triggered. I am just wondering how to trigger these..... Maybe....

P.S.
Appreciate all your contributions and I am on this now for at least 10 Hours. lol.

Edited by WarHero, 21 November 2007 - 04:26 AM.

#12 WarHero

WarHero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:55 AM

Another try. I used the Carbon DVD on my friend's PC. It worked. Further, the Autofix on his machine showed a log with Fired and Triggered rather than Silent and Deaf in my machine's case. Post 7 is the result. Anyone knows how to dix these two?

Edited by WarHero, 21 November 2007 - 07:55 AM.

#13 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

I would say see if you could edit the registry listing that shows that, but then it's a risky gamble.

#14 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

I have a similar problem with my works' PC, it has the same drive, however it's quite funny with various media.

1) Some (shop brought) DVD movies are identified and play and some don't.
2) Some blank media (DVD's) are recognised and some not
3) 'Home' burnt DVD's again are a bit hit and miss.
3) Audio CD's, SVCD's, etc work fine.

A few things to try:

- If possible try removing the drive, and installing again
- Remove the drive, and try in another PC
- Replace IDE cable
- Remove PowerDVD and Nero and reinstall. (I have had experience of these programs acting strange when coupled up a new drive especially if the software is OEM).

Being a good mate of the senior IT technician, I have since removed the offending drive and replaced with an LG - no problems, the Samsung drive now resides in the boss's computer - she doesen't bother too much with the drive!

Edited by FireKracker, 21 November 2007 - 11:13 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#15 WarHero

WarHero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

I have already tried editing few things in the registry. But I have taken care to add appropriate values. So if this needs more registry edits, so be it :flowers:)
FireKracker, I completely agree with you on the kind of media that sometimes dont budge. I have had it before.

I have plugged and replugged the drives reinstalled drivers. In fact, I have done a System File Checker also to see if associations are good, ALL OK.

Nero and Power DVD have been reinstalled again. They allow AUTOPLAY.
Tweak UI takes care of enabling AutoPlay
IDE cable, i wonder if I need to do this, as my other DVDs are ercognized. Will try.
Will Try DVD on another PC

Last, the worst, would be replace!

BUT, I would think that Post 7 with Silent and Deaf is the culprit. They need to be Fired and Triggered. Any MS guys here :thumbsup:)

20 HOURS, still hope to live Carbon on this drive... lol...
Thanks for your inputs, any more to come to my rescue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users