Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Administrator Account Not Show Up At Logon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:38 AM

I have a friend setting up computers in a computer cafe (in Costa Rico) with only me as support. I told him to activate the Guest account for his users and have a strong password on the Administrator account he created. He would like to hide the administrator account (called Cafe Owner) at the logon screen without having to deactivate it. Can this be done? if so, how would you do it? Would he still be able to access it through Cntr-Opt-Delete (isn't that it? don't have PC in front of me now) or would he have to do something else to access the account he created?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by CaroleAnne, 20 November 2007 - 02:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:52 AM

Is the computer running xp home or Pro
and what is the spec of the pc

Is the computer running xp home or Pro
and what is the spec of the pc

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hmm...I don't know why you suggested activating the Guest account. As I understand it, the Guest account is available to anyone who happens upon the computer and who doesn't have a permanet profile.

If I were running a business, I would want to be fairly sure that only authorized employees had access to system data.

As the Admin, he can create user accounts with limited privileges, both in Home and Pro.

Louis

#4 GuyInKS

GuyInKS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

CaroleAnne:

Be careful with this, as you are updating the registry--you can really mess things up if directions aren't followed EXACTLY. I know this works in XP, but I haven't tried it on previous versions....

Go to Start>Run...type "REGEDIT" and press "OK"

On the left-hand side of the Registry Editor window, you'll see a series of folders with names that begin with "HKEY". In that frame:
Expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".
Expand "Software".
Expand "Microsoft".
Expand "WindowsNT".
Expand "CurrentVersion".
Expand "Winlogon".
Expand "SpecialAccounts".
Double-click on the "UserList" folder.

Now right-click in the white space on the right-hand frame. Select "New" and then "DWORD value". In the box that says "New Value #1", type the user name of the administrator account your friend wants to 'hide'. Make sure what is typed matches EXACTLY. Then, right click on the new entry and select "Modify". Make sure that "0" appears in the "Value data:" box. Then, click "OK". (A "0" in the "Value data:" box 'hides' the account, a "1" in the box 'displays' the account.)

Now, close everything, restart the computer and ensure the admin account is no longer visable at startup. If your friend wants to login as Admin, he'll just have to hold down Ctrl-Alt and press Del twice. Then he can manually enter the username and password.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this doesn't work.

Dusty

Edited by GuyInKS, 21 November 2007 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users