Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus And Antispyware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 somi

somi

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

what's the basic difference between antispyware and antivirus
and is avg antispyware or antivirus??
and i have only avg installed in my pc
is it enough for safety against viruses??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

From the BC glossary:

Virus

A program that when run, has the ability to self-replicate by infecting other programs and files on your computer. These programs can have many effects ranging from wiping your hard drive, displaying a joke in a small box, or doing nothing at all except to replicate itself. These types of infections tend to be localized to your computer and not have the ability to spread to another computer on their own. The word virus has incorrectly become a general term that encompasses trojans, worms, and viruses.

Spyware

Software often advertised as Freeware or Adware but that install in your computer, generally without your knowledge, other programs that run in the background collecting data about what web sites you go to, your personal information, the games you play, the software you use, etc, without your permission. The software will then send this information back to the creator's servers where it is collected.

Even though the distinction can become blurred, an Antivirus will search for and make harmless the more serious kinds of infections, and Anti-spyware applications will search for and make harmless a much larger (and much less well-defined) number of instances.

Now AVG is an antivirus (althought AVG ALSO has an anti-spyware application as a separate free download. Generally speaking, the average user needs only one AV resident on his computer providing both on demand scanning and real-time protection. Having more than one checking your downloads can cause problems because they can conflict, and certainly slow down your speed. There are many free on-line scans that can be useful as "second opinions."

But in addition to AVG, a wise internet traveller will also have several anti-spyware applications on his computer. Because the criteria for what constitutes spyware will vary from company to company, each application will look for and find a slightly different set of files; having more than one anti-spyware will increase your coverage.

I hope this answers your question, and if you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask them by replying to this thread.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 somi

somi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:50 AM

please can you tell me which antispyware is preferred with avg which is installed as an anti-spyware in my computer and which would be the best anti-spyware??

Edited by somi, 21 November 2007 - 04:13 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

Everyone has his own preference, and I am sure that other Members will have different ones. Right now, I have found the following to be effective:

AVGFree---their Antivirus Application
AVGantispyware
SUPERantispyware

You will find links to these, as well as other free security applications recommended by our Members, here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users