Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-introducing Myself.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BetsyFeller

BetsyFeller

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:13 AM

Hello there, I have been a member for awhile now but I have just recently started getting serious about computers and learning. I have just purchased an Acer laptop and need to learn a lot for my business about the best operating system, how to keep my computer safe, and all that good information. I just thought I would say hi to everybody again, and tell you all I look forward to chatting with you all and thank you for all of you're help! :thumbsup:
Thank you,
Betty A. Feller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:12 AM

Hey BetsyFeller and welcome to BC.

There is really no "best" Operating system. Its rather personal choice and usage that often leads to a decision in that field.
If you wish to equipe your pc with freeware software rather than paying for them, you can look at this list, suggesting some great tools for every day usage.

There are a great many tutorials here. In regards to security issues, especially of concern if you are going to use your pc for business, are the following tutorials: "Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers", "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet", "Understanding and Using Firewalls".

While this is rather overwhelming at first, you might find some good info for yourself there.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask here in the forums. We are a friendly bunch :thumbsup:

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#3 BetsyFeller

BetsyFeller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thank you, YourHighness! I have been reading on here about Linux. It seems to be a good program. Yes, I am tired of paying for operating systems, and thought what the heck, also, it's nice to have other people's suggestios! Thanks and look forward to getting to know you!
Thank you,
Betty A. Feller

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hi BetsyFeller,

Glad you said hi again :thumbsup: Linux is a good OS. I have tried it and it works great for me. For me it was harder to load drivers and some programs, but after you learn it, it rocks.

Take care,
rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 BetsyFeller

BetsyFeller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

Thanks Rigel. I look forward to using it. talk to you soon. :thumbsup:
Thank you,
Betty A. Feller

0 user(s) are reading this topic