Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help And Support Is Gone

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Kevin

Jon Kevin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

I can no longer get to the help and support section from the start button. I have recently added AWC(Advanced Window Care) proffesional and have stopped some services from running, but none that said help and support that I remember. I get a message that says Windows cannot start Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem start the service " Help and Support" I can still get to the restore to an earlier state from the AWC program. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hello:

You can manually start and stop services using the Computer Management console.

What you want to do:
Start >> Right-click My Computer >> Select Manage
OR
Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management

This will bring up the Computer Management console.

You want to navigate to the Services and Applications node in the left hand pane. Click on the + sign to expand the node and select Services. Click on anything in the right hand pane and navigate to the Help and Support service. Under normal circumstances, this service is started automatically as a Local System service. Right-click it to bring up the shortcut menu and choose Properties.

Once you are in the Properties applet for the Help and Support service, check to see what the Startup type: pull-down menu shows. Most likely it is probably showing "manual". You can use the pull-down menu to change it to "automatic" and it will start up automatically when you restart your system - unless there is another program that is preventing this. What you are really most interested in doing is starting the service manually if it is not starting up.

Under Service Status you can click Start.

Post back if this does not work for you.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:57 PM

This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #235 and click "Restore Help and Support Service" in the left column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save helpnsupport.reg to your desktop. Double-click on that file and choose "Yes" to merge it into the registry when prompted. Once you get a successful message delete the file and reboot.

Also see Repair Windows XP Help & Support with VB Script.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users