Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Display Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BeefNut

BeefNut

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:51 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, about 2.5 yrs old. I noticed the picture was getting a red hue to it, but it would eventually go away and the screen would be OK (bright as usual). One day, the red hue remained and then my screen just went dark. I can see VERY dim images on the screen now, but that's it. I am currently plugged into an external monitor and that is working fine.

I don't know whether the problem is the CCFL bulb or the backlight inverter...OR could it be something else? Before I start diving into waters unknown and disassemble my LCD display, I want to get as much information as I can so I am not messing with things that aren't broken. I look forward to any responses!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:10 AM

I've got one I have been trying to fix for a elderly lady, I'd say the screens gone from the way you described it. you could try disassembling it and seeing if somethings come loose, dell has fairly good manuals on that.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 20 November 2007 - 03:14 PM.

#3 BeefNut

BeefNut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

Based on what I have found, this is a fairly common problem with laptop LCD displays. I have narrowed it down to the CCFL or the backlight inverter, just don't know which it is. Would rather only replace one of them, but just don't know how to tell which one to change (if there is a way to tell). Any more advise from anyone?

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

hmm, from the way the screen is on mine, you'll need both and a couple of cables will have to be replaced. looking at about $150 to $200 to fix it, and hope it doesn't quit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users