Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process For Win32

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ihaveaproblem

ihaveaproblem

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

can u guide me what to do..

i get this Generic Host Process for win32 only when i am connected to the internet.
and when i press the send/dont send.. audio is gone.. and theme goes to classic then goes back to my normal theme.

guide me plz.. im confused..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

If you do a Google search for Generic Host Process for Win32 Error, you will find this error is a common complaint by many users with no single solution. What works for one person may not work for another.

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error message after you start the computer
Generic Host Process Error Message
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

Any chance that you can email me a screenshot?

I can get a better idea of the error if you can reproduce and take a snapshot, then i can google it online and post back. The screen shot button is on your keyboard it will say something like "PrntScrn". Reproduce the error and then press that "PrntScrn" button. Then open up a Word document and paste it into the Word document -> Edit >> Paste or simply press Ctrl+V.

If you email it to me, i can check it out and get back to you in 24 hours.

Mod Edit: Email address removed to protect against spam ~TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 20 November 2007 - 12:09 AM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 ihaveaproblem

ihaveaproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:51 AM

[attachment=2761:Doc1.doc]

Here it is

Edited by ihaveaproblem, 20 November 2007 - 02:57 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

svchost.exe.mdmp is a mini dump used to send error reporting to Microsoft.
appcompat.txt is a reporting file with information used when uploading error reports to Microsoft when you get the message "report this error to Microsoft?"

However, appcompat.txt can also be related to the Trojan.Proxy.Win32.Lager.ch
%profile%\local settings\temp\wer54.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Svchost.exe is the filename for Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. It is a process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). This process that can run other services underneath itself so it may not be svchost.exe that's the issue, but rather one of the processes running underneath it.

In order to identify the underlying process you can download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

The Process Explorer window shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

Also see "How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process".

The error could also be related to drivers for Hewlett-Packard printers and scanners. See Generic Host Process for Win32 Services.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

TMack - thanks for removing my addy from my last post...

There is a Microsoft KB article posted on this type of error, its the first hit on Google when you query "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services". Read it through and see if there are any clues there that might set off a lightbulb for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391

The KB article references a hotfix that may create the problem, have you recently applied any Windows updates? There is a downloadable fix for this problem, check into that and see if it helps you out.

As quietman put it, there is not a single root cause that is identified and therefore no one quick fix on this one. Try the downloadable hotfix if the article seems to point to the symptoms you are having.

Maybe try running a chkdsk /f/r on your system by doing the following:

Start >> Run >> cmd.exe

Type "chkdsk /f/r" without quotation marks. The chkdsk command will run at next system startup and takes about 45 minutes depending on how large your HD is and how fast your processor is.

I've never seen this error before, so its got me confused as well. Post back if you have no success.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users