Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About My Startup Processes..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Asch

Asch

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

I'm a little bit scared I guess (only word I could come up with >_>).

So far I have a list of things I think I might want to disable, but am not so sure about. Mind you, these are in my msconfig Startup tab:

AolSoftware.exe - http://tinyurl.com/3co43n
HDAShCut.exe - http://tinyurl.com/2v4mjn
ALCMTR.exe - http://tinyurl.com/2a4a6s
AOLDial - http://tinyurl.com/2l2pro
TINTSETP.exe (for some reason there's 2 of them..) - http://tinyurl.com/3733ot

I just REALLY want to make sure nothing happens if I disable these, so I'm looking for some extra opinions.

And will I still be able to startup AOL by clicking my desktop shortcut? The only reason I have it is because my mother uses it.

I know I should just try but.. this is my first time doing this. ):

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

Hello Asch,First welcome to Bleeping Computer

At the top of the Forum page are tabs by clicking the Startup List tab you can copy/paste those entries in the search box and click Search. This will give you a description of each. Try it out so you will see how it works.
But in the meantime I've looked and all can be stopped as not needed in startup. Do NOT Remove.

AOLSoftware.exe
It should be spelled as this and located here
with theses characteristics. (Note: AOL all caps)
File aolsoftware.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files\Common Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 50792 bytes (52% of all occurrence), 50760 bytes, 50736 bytes, 48280 bytes, 16897 bytes.
The spelling as you entered it may be malware so confirm the spelling and location.
If you find any other version/location This may be a backdoor trojan. Imediately then Download,install,update then reboot into Safe Mode then scan with SUPERAntiSpyware . Delete /quaratine anything it finds.

As always ask if needed. PLEASE Do tell us what SuperAntisptware finds as there would be more to do.

HDAShCut.exe
This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources.
ALCMTR.EXE
Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Sypware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but it is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers. If you delete this file, then you will not be able to properly update your drivers in the future. It is therefore recommended that you disable the startup instead.
AOLDial.exe..Did you leave out( .exe )
This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources.
TINTSETP.EXE
The tintsetp.exe process is part of Microsoft's 'Input Message Editor' and is used when translating Japanese and/or Chinese text in Internet Explorer, Outlook and other Microsoft Programs. If you do not use it, it can be terminated.
tintsetp.exe is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing tIntSetP may adversly impact your system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Asch

Asch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Ah! I see. Thanks a bunch, boopme!

I've checked on my AOL problem. And yes, I did forget about putting AOL in all caps, that's my fault. I also checked out the AOLSoftware.exe in my C:\ drive. It appears to have 50736 bytes. I also did the scan you requested, no problems.

Thanks, and I also disabled the other three (besides TINT). And yes, I did mean AOLDial.exe, it's just it showed AOLDial in my startup tab.

Once again, thanks for the extra help.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

You're very welcome and if you are in the USA~ Happy Thanksgiving !
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users