Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsk Chk Could Not Complete

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hi

I dropped my external HDD, still will learn to be more careful in future! Anyway SMART has not been tripped, running it in my IBM T21 laptop it tends to go over temp (100 degrees). It would not format under XP but freeze at around 20%, also DSK CHK would not complete around half way through stage 5. In desperation I formatted using fdisk & have run various diagnostics, they report 99 errors then give up around 33% of the way through!

Will running DSK Chk in safe mode make any difference? I am not sure I have USB legacy support in my BIOS. It's foobarred isn't it?!? :thumbsup: . What about a low level format? I'm jst gonna have to chuck it then.

Edited by rigel, 19 November 2007 - 08:24 PM.
Topic moved to a more appropriate forum ~ rigel

ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hi fleamour,

It sounds like the drive is damaged beyond repair. Still, you won't lose anything trying those things you have mentioned.
I know you mentioned diagnostics, but I would visit the manufacturer's site and see if they have any diagnostics for the drive. Run them and see what is reported.

As a last resort, You can place the drive in your freezer and then slowly bring back to room temperature. Reconnect it and see if it works - worth a shot if it is dead.

I assume you have tried to get any data you could off of it.

Good luck
rigel

Edited by rigel, 19 November 2007 - 08:26 PM.
clairified post

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:55 AM

FWIW - if you decide that the drive is hosed - you can always open up the case and replace the hard drive (thereby saving the rest of the components). We're doing this at work with the little W-D Passport drives (they've got a little SATA connector inside the plastic case that the hard drive plugs into).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

Well I received a new replacement dsk thru the post Sat. This checked out OK under self testing but would not complete a format under XP. When I did manage to format it, dumping large amounts of data to the drive failed. Then CHKDSK returned one or more unrecoverable errors. However after running Kill Disk it formatted no probs under XP & I've had no problems since! I have jst backed up all data, a considerable amount, to the disk and there are no errors in event viewer.

I'm gonna try the same with the dropped disk it replaced but am not holding my breath.
ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users