Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hero

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joe_Brett

Joe_Brett

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

Who is your hero?

i think this is a tough question and i can't actually think of one myself!
B R A D F O R D C I T Y A F C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

I hope this isn't too sappy, but I take this seriously. That being said, my hero is...

I know I should say it's one of my parents, or my brother, or (as a resident of Nebraska) Tom Osborne, but it isn't. I once worked, for quite some time, at Coca-Cola Ent. in their distribution warehose here in Omaha. I worked with a gentleman, J. Tapley who, over the two years I worked there, became my hero. This is a man who has seen his fare share of the short end on the stick, yet continues to force his way forward. He's a black gentleman who grew up in Omaha during the 50's and 60's, enduring the race riots and the bussing/integration backlash. He's endured "white-flight" and the incredibly segregated town that was Omaha. Omaha is still a fairly segregated city, mind you, but the borders are not so much racial any longer as they are pecuniary. It is imperative that I mention the great strides that have been taken to open the city and foster growth and integration (no flames please :thumbsup: ).

Mr. Tapley, in order to make ends meet, worked two full-time jobs: the one at the warehouse with me and he was the CEO of his own office cleaning company during the evenings. His family is the most important thing in his life. And no matter how tough things got he refused to do either of two things. First, he refused to accept handouts such as welfare (Medicaid, EBT, etc.) because, to quote him, "there is always someone more in need than me." Secondly, and most importantly, he did everything in his power to not blame the problems in his life on racism. This is what amazed my the most. How easy it is to stare into the eyes of that beast day-in and day-out, yet stand tall in the end. I cannot tell you just how much I admire the intrepidation, strength, and compassion of this person and what affect our talks had on my view of life. I grew up in a lower-middle class family, searching through remnant bins at the fabric store for enough material inorder for mom to make an outfit; I empathize with where he came from. I wish there were more people like him in the world.

Mr. Tapley, I never told you how you inspired me, thank you.

drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 19 November 2007 - 10:00 PM.

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

Rosa Parks - one lone person who just got fed up one day, said to herself "Enough is enough!" and decided to take a stand for what she believed in!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users