Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Usage Of Views In Folders

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

Folks, I wonder if the view that one selects for folders affects memory usage. The views are Thumbnails, Tiles, Icon, List, and Details. I have selected the view according to the type of file for some of the folders, for example the My Pictures folder I use the Thumbnail view, for the document files I use Icon, but for some I use list. The rest I have accepted happenstance. I plan to get more memory in the future, and another computer, but not right now. I have XP Professional, SP2, AMD Athlon, 1.19 GHz, 512 MB RAM, and a 120 GB hard drive. Without a browser, mail client, or word processor open, and realtime programs running, Prevx 2, NOD32 version 3, PGP Desktop 9.6, WordWeb Pro, Sandboxie 3.20 (only uses about 8 MB RAM - 2 processes; I sandbox the browsers when surfing), plus the usual system applications I usually have 270 MB RAM free. I have multi-tasked with three or four other programs open (for example Rough Draft, Nvu, a browser, while browsing for info) without any problems, and the RAM free has dropped to the low 100s - a few times to 75 or 80 MB RAM. I keep the system clean of junk files. I have all unnecessary services disabled, uninstalled telnet; although this may improve performance, it also reduces threat surface. I try to use as many applications written in Assembly or partially in Assembly. I do need more RAM, about a gig total. With it this system will last me some more years. Until I can afford the RAM, I need to lower my RAM usage more. I have done the usual like in Visual Effects; I turned all off except Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts and the last three.

In the folder view for non-image files I like the list view; I can usually see all that is in the folder with that view. But I dont really need the Thumbnails view as the default for any folder since it can be changed temporarily when needed. Which View uses the least memory? Please, save the time experimenting. I'm lazy.

My computer in NYC has a gig of RAM. Both the networks, Alabama (where I spend most of my time) and NYC have Macs too; this is one of the reasons I'm poor probably. I need the advice for the 'Bama one. Aside: I use the Macs for my music systems.

Edited by saint satin stain, 19 November 2007 - 04:38 PM.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

XP by design uses as much RAM as it can for faster system performance.
Are you getting any memory errors?
What are your virtual memory settings?
Look in task manager under Commit Charge. Is your peak getting real close to your limit?
That tells the real story on memory usage.
X

#3 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:32 AM

No memory errors. VM setting 1536 MB for initial and max. Commit charge 398 M / 2016 M.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

I generally prefer Details as my default view because of the kind of information it provides. The Thumbnail view will take much longer to load, because each of the little pictures must be brought up on screen; in large folders, this can be a usage hog, and take some time. I find picture viewers such as Picassa2 (from Google) much faster than using Windows thumbnail.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:37 AM

Any way to turn off Thumbnail view entirely? And is it advisable? Do the first with an outside image viewer? Would this increase the realtime load on RAM resources?

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

You can turn off Thumbnails (at least it worked for me) by opening up Windows Explorer, clicking on a folder and setting the view to "List" or "Details" - then go to the Tools menu, then to Folder Options, then to the View tab and click on the Apply to all folders button. Be sure to have the "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked in the dropdown box in the View tab.

Item 277 on this page ( http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm ) says it will change your registry to enable/disable the view. I tried this on my XP Virtual Machine and it may doesn't appear to do much, even with a reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

My default view for almost all folders is list view; it seems to decrease the use of resources. I also changed my security apps, eliminated some, and installed ones with smaller RAMpriint.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users