Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-enable Standby On Winxp Home

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and is only like a year old. Standby was working fine until a few months ago. Now all of a sudden standby and hibernate are disabled. There is NO hibernate tab in power options. I have not done anything to my bios, nor have i formatted my hard drive at all. I have read online that drivers can prevent them from working, but i have no idea on how i can find which one. Other people have said i need an updated display driver, but the only display driver for my model is for Vista. I really want standby because my laptop stays on like all day and gets pretty hot after a while.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

I would try deleting the hiberfil.sys file and then re-initiating power options (after rebooting the system). That should take care of possible file corruption as the cause of your issues.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...7585/27585.html

Louis

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

One thing though, one problem is in Power Options, i don't have a hibernate tab. I don't really use hibernate anyway. My main concern is why 'Standby' isn't working.

thanks for the fast reply though.

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

Here's the MSKB on this, you've may have read it already with what you posted-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477
If you never made any changes to your BIOS I would reset it to default or factory settings and see what happens.
X

#5 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

Yea i've read that already (not much help :thumbsup:)

To reset my bios do i just go in and go into the exit tab (or somewhere else) and hit Reset to factory or something? ill go in there and browse around.

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

Not sure how to get to the BIOS for your laptop.
Restart the computer and there should be a screen that comes up with something like setup and what key you need to hit to access it.
X

#7 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

I know how to get into the bios, and i probably will be able to find restore to factory settings in there.
i won't do it right now though because i am doing more than one thing on here and i don't feel like restarting.

#8 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Well, whenever you fell like restarting post back if it worked or not so other options can be given.
X

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

FWIW - frequently the Hibernate/Sleep functions will disappear due to changes to the driver files for your graphics adapter. Reinstalling the graphics adapter driver will usually fix this problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

If i uninstall the display driver, won't the screen not work?
I am thinking though that if i uninstall it and the reinstall it without restarting it wont stop the screen from working.

#11 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

Yor screen will work. Microsoft Standard VGA drivers will kick in.
X

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

I believe that...uninstalling the driver just forces XP to use a native driver, which will probably limit your resolutions but will not provide a blank screen.

And...XP may already have the driver for your system in its cache, which it will reinstall automatically upon reboot.

Louis

#13 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

I reinstalled the driver, but it didn't work.
I'll try the BIOS thing right now.

Also, now that i did that, my icons are messed up. They are trapped up tword the top of the screen. The bottom near the taskbar for about half a foot of screen space does not allow icons to be placed there (i even tried to manually arange them).

here is a rough picture i quickly made in paint as an example.
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/lha...ick-example.jpg

EDIT: crap! resetting the bios didn't work :thumbsup:

Edited by lhamil64, 20 November 2007 - 04:22 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

What errrors in Event Viewer?

Louis

#15 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:34 PM

i fixed the desktop thing. I got into event viewer but i have no idea where my log is located. You'd think that the program would know already lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users