Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Trust Ms Autorun Publishers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 webwizard

webwizard

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

I've just installed MS Autorun from MS. I'm looking through the hundreds of Startup programs as my Vista is slow to point of boredom as I boot up.

So here I am faced with all these programs, most of which are MS Published programs. Can I trust Autorun to display a legitimate Publisher?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

Autoruns is a very good startup manager.

If you come across a suspicious file in Autoruns, search the name using Google, BC's File Database, File Research Center or the Process ID Database.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 webwizard

webwizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

cheers quietman7 - i'll give it a try and post back with results

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled.
Note: some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

If you are unsure what any of the program entries are or if they are safe to disable, in addition to the previous links I provided you can also use BC's Startup Programs Database.

#5 webwizard

webwizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Aye well i should've pointed out that i understand how it works but have no idea whether i should believe the hundreds of microsoft published dll's, exe's etc..
I've done an initial run thru with the help of ALL the links you provided and was able to disable all symantec entries - tis a real hassle as it came with the pc. Tomorrow I will then do a deep run through of the entries with a more comprehensive search of which to disable/or not, though that is a big job so will do over the coming week.
My aim is to improve my pc performance whether it be startup or otherwise - any ideas on this would be great, ps appreciate your help so far.
You will have noticed i've just joined and am gaining confidence in participating on this site

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

Try some of the suggestions in Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users