Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yes...Hello

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldfella

oldfella

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

If my post takes, I guess it means my registration has been validated... I had to jump a few hoops :thumbsup:

Hello - I'm known as "oldfella", simply because I'm an old fella - and I'm glad to be here. At age 87 I am very happy to be able to turn my computer on and off... and I do need help with this contraption from time-to-time. Right now I just want to say hello, no problems to report... the only on-going problems I have is hitting the right keys. So. Hello!

Pete (The Oldfella)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

Hello OldFella and welcome to Bleeping Computer.
We are happy to have you in our community. We
welcome one and all and are happy to help when
the need arises. So sit back and enjoy yourself.

~67~

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:01 PM

You are amazing! To be your age and on a computer! My mom barely knows about how to browse ebay lol!

Welcome to BC!

We are glad to have another new member. Please take your time and look around and see what all we have to offer!

Enjoy your stay at BC!

#4 oldfella

oldfella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome... it does take me while to figure out a few things, like how to get the dang floppy release button to come out; I accidentally pushed the darn thing before I put in the floppy - now the button is stuck ! Oh, well, maybe tomorrow I'll figure it out....

I'm glad to be here.

Pete (The Oldfella)

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:07 AM

:thumbsup: to BC Pete. Hey I can only hope I make it to where you have in life. Yowza! lol This forum is great to come to with any sort of computer difficulty. As for your stuck button, that is a real problem.. if it was me I would try to make it pop back out using a sewing needle or something else small. I am not sure what the experts would try for that...

Anyhow.. I am a newbie myself to the Internet. Just learning as I go and Bleepingcomputer has given me a lot of help when needed.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 oldfella

oldfella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:03 PM

Hi, Pandy - Thanks for the tip about using a neddle... I'll try that, since I was not able to pop it out from inside the case.

About this Board... for some reason I'm not able to read the posts most of the time - my Spy Bot stops the pop-ups (?) and the page stops from coming up...maybe one of the mods could tell me what I am doing swrong... I do have the cookies enabled. Thanks.

Pete

#7 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:00 PM

:thumbsup: to BC!!

Thanks alot for registering. I certainly commend you for being patient enough to learn computers, no matter your age. As time consuming as it can be, just take your time. You may even want to look at the tutorials and Startup Database. Both are a wealth of information.

Lets take a look at the problems that you have and see if they can be resolved.

Floppy drive: If the button is stuck, you can try a few things to get it to pop out. If it is a laptop computer, you can look closely around the drive for a very small pin hole;often times if you push it with a pin or needle, it will manually release it. Of course, it would not hurt to turn the computer off to do this. In the case that it is a desktop computer, you can try to insert a disk in the drive and it may pop back out.

As far has having problems with this site, it is likely an option on your computer. If you have updated Windows lately (or if the computer is less then 6 months old), then you have a pop-up blocker installed. I would like for you to look at a setting for me. Please click the Tools button at the top of your window, then select Pop up Blocker, and finally pop up blocker settings. In this window, you will have an option of adding websites that the blocker will ignore. Enter www.bleepingcomputer.com there, click the add button, and finally, close. In some cases, you may have to restart your browser for it to take effect. Simply click the red X in the upper-right hand corner, or you can use the keyboard shortcut (ALT+F4). Restart the browser normally, and come back to this site, and you will see that you will not have any more problems with the pop-up blocker.

Please let us know if these suggestions worked, because if they didn't we may have to go other routes.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hi oldfella

Put a floppy in the drive and the button will pop out but when there is no floppy in the slot the button stays almost all the way in. So thats normal.

Great to see someone your age using a computer. I imagine that you have lived through many innovations like the radio, telephone, television etc. Glad to have you here to share with us.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 oldfella

oldfella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:12 PM

I must admit, this oldfella is a first class dummy: The button in question pops up when you insert the floppy - and you must insert it the right way, not backward!

As far as my problem with not being able to read posts here, in addition to the pop-up problem, I think I had some bugs in my system. I have been cleaning it for the past hour and caught a few. I may decide to post my HijackThis log if things don't clear up soon. Thanks again, fellas.

Pete (The oldfella) :thumbsup:

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:25 PM

Your not a dummy, your just learning like most of the other people here. Just thought that I would mention that if you leave a floppy in the drive and you turn the computer on it will stop and give a message that says "non system disk or disk error" so if that happens just take the floppy out. Hope I'm not telling you something you already know.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 oldfella

oldfella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, Lewurgy - No, I didn't know that... That hasn't happened to me, yet; but I do continue to have problems getting to see and/or open posts here - I get a message form Spybot: "Spybot-S&D has blocked the download of 'Avenue A, Inc'!"... it happens on other sites, but I get going after I click OK. My system appears to be clean... I wonder if it happens to others here.

Edited by oldfella, 20 February 2005 - 06:56 PM.

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

I myself have never had Avenue A try to install when clicking to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

I see you have tea timer running. Avenue A is a minor problem. Its whats called a tracking cookie and is a very low risk. One of the ads on this site must be connected with them. Tea timer stops you connecting to this site until you are aware of avenue a.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users