Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95 Turning Off After Seconds-uuggh!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 whatnow

whatnow

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

Ok so I have read MANY threads on several sites from people with similar problems. I am VERY computer illiterate so that causes a few problems of my own. I have checked to see if the the fans are running on the back of the tower and they are. I have used compressed air on them just in case it was a problem. The system turns off after only seconds of being on, no ability to check anything out really. I have been able to press Cont-Alt-Delete and this seems to restarts the computer, never turning it off-essentially extending the time before it shuts down. I did it a few times and it would just continue to restart. When I stopped doing this it does it's usual 5 sec or so before shutdown. The monitor and tower go into sleepmode when it shuts itself off. I have to hold the power button or unplug to turn it off completely. Any ideas on what I can do. I would love to be able to take care of thiss issue myself. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

well, I'll need the following info.

System manufacturer and Exact Model(if name Brand):
Service Tag (if Dell):
Motherboard Manufacturer with Model and BIOS Revision:
CPU Manufacturer and Model:
RAM Manufacturer and Model:
PSU Manufacturer and Model:

#3 whatnow

whatnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

Followup to Henn...Thank you so much for such a prompt reply. The computer had been shutting down on it's own for several days prior to me trying the bring up the task manager (ctrl+alt+dlt). I tried doing that based on another post I saw regarding an issue like mine. I was trying to read what the last process was before the computer turning off. I just found it interesting that it extended the "on" time when I did this. Normally it just turns off after a few seconds but this seems to restart the "5 seconds to shutdown" each time I hit cntr+alt+dlt. Not sure if that makes any sense. Anyway, just thought that might help others to know if it could be one problem over another knowing that that is happening. I would assume that it is not an overheating issue due to my prolonging the ontime by hitting ctrl alt delete... I have a laptop that I am usuing so I dont really care if I loose the computer BUT I have all of my sons first year of life pictures on that computer!!! The not so funny thing about it is I first starting encountering this problem when I was logging on to copy them to CD. Ironic huh. :flowers:

Robert- Did I mention I was a novice? I will check for all the specifics and get that back to you...thanks for taking the time :thumbsup:

#4 whatnow

whatnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

Ok so I am learning as I go... and making a complete fool as myself for my lack of knowledge

This is an HP Pavillion 500

It's all stock, the way I got it from the store

How do I find all the other information with the computer turned off??

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

okay, thanks for the response, since it's a laptop, you got me the info I needed, on the bottom of it is a sticker with the exact model number of your laptop, that will be helpful to know. does it do this when the ac is connected or just when you run it on battery?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:50 AM

One of the things that can cause this kind of problem is accumulated dust and pet fur inside the computer, especially with a laptop which has circulation issues to start with and compounded with its age. You might want to open the panel/s on the bottom of the laptop and use some canned air to blow it out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:34 AM

Are you able to startup in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 whatnow

whatnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:49 AM

Just to clarify, the shutdown is happening with my regular HP Pavilion computer, I am typing to you on a laptop in the mean time...my laptop is fine.

The screen that comes up when I turn the computer on is one that says...Windows was shut down improperly. It has a list of what I want to do and I need to use the error keys to select one (start up in safe mode is one). It only last a few seconds and I typically can not get past this window.

Are there any problems that you can cancel out based on the information I've provided? I would like to try and narrow down what could be causing this issue and go from there.

Oh another thing which may or may not be helpful... I had unplugged and disconnected all the wires to the tower since I had to move it out of the room for a house guest- I needed to make room for a bed. This all started happening once I plugged everything back in and tried using it again.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:18 AM

I would try running chkdsk /r on it from an XP CD.

It could be so many different things, I always try to start with the simplest attempt to sort it out.

Are we really talking about Windows 95? I guess that I was hoping that was a typo of some sort :thumbsup:.

My standard cure for Win 95 problems was a repair reinstall of Win 95, since some of the tools available now for later editions...did not exist then.

Louis

#10 whatnow

whatnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:07 AM

Ok :thumbsup: to those who have stuck with me....

***this is Windows XP***

I just tried starting it again, this time pushing f8 repeatedly. This brought me to a new page -select operating system to start--gave me one option Windows XP home Edition--I chose that and it brought me back to the prior screen (the one that comes up when I start the computer) and allowed the computer to stay ON!! I I could go back and forth between the prior screen and this one and it stayed on (a little slice of heaven!)...it shut down when I chose --Last good configuration----restarted the computer after a while did f8 again, chose windows xp, brought me back this time I chose safe mode with command prompts..it brought up prompts and shut down after about 5-7 seconds. What should I choose when I am on the opening page? At least by hitting f8, it keeps the computer on for me, I just don't know which command to run when I am on that screen (wishing I knew what "that screen" was called (it shows options like run in safe mode, run in safe mode with command prompts, start using last good configuration...and other choices). What is this page called? Which should I choose when I am there?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

Try Run In Safe Mode...then navigate to Start/Run...type in chkdsk /r (exactly as shown here).

Message comes up saying chkdsk cannot run now, etc., acknowledge that you want it to run at next boot.

Reboot...let chkdsk /r run to completion (it will reboot when done).

See what happens :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:33 AM

For a starter, just select Safe Mode. Then, let the OS do its thing. If it still fails you may have a hardware problem that a tech will need to help you with. Check Power supply, memory, run chkdsk if possible.

Have you considered a repair install? Or using the recovery partition (not sure if that had one though) to reinstall.

DR

PS: You can also try selecting the Disable Auto Restart on System Failure option after hitting F8 (Not sure of the ending there).

The next time it crashes, it should produce a Blue Screen. Write down all of the info and post that here. Especially the Parameters.

Edited by rigacci, 20 November 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#13 whatnow

whatnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

I have tried selecting: Safe Mode, safe mode with command prompts, disable auto restart, run usuing last good configuration-and it shuts down moments later on each of them.

Will look into how to do a repair install...bbl

Edited by whatnow, 20 November 2007 - 12:29 PM.

#14 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

This sounds like your Windows files have been corrupted.
Try a repair install as suggested. It works 9 times out of 10.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#15 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

I would try this first.

Hit the F8 to get to the Safe mode Menu

select the Disable Auto Restart on System Failure option.

The next time it crashes, it should produce a Blue Screen. Write down all of the info and post that here. Especially the Parameters.

This might be able to tell us if you have a hardware issue or software.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users