Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Functionality After Virus Removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pdw

pdw

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

Hello All

I confess to having used this site before, without registering. I managed to find a thread which helped me solve a problem many months ago, so thankyou for that assistance.

I now have a new problem which I cant fix, and despite trawling thro the threads I cant find the exact help I need. Im running XP Home on a Dell machine.

Through my own stupidity, I managed to pick up virus problems on 11 Nov, (I had lowered my protection while trying to solve connection problems with a solid US contact....all for a game of backgammon!..sheesh!). Anyway, yes, you guessed it, I forgot to put them back up again and picked up trouble from somewhere.

I managed to get rid of all the virus problems with BitDefender (I find it very easy to use), but the worm has changed my settings, so that I repeatedly get 'This Application has been blocked by your System Administrator' when I try to add/remove prorams and my control panel has disappeared. I get the same message when I try to use regedit or msconfig.

Although I have successfully set up another user and can enjoy full functionality as this new user, its bugging me that I cant fully fix the previous user.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. If not, please keep up the good work that you are doing......its comforting to know that for every system vandal out there, there are at least two of you trying to help people for free.
Many thanks
PDW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

Download RatsCheddar.zip and save it to your desktop. It is a Policy Controller program written by Rathat to remove certain restrictions on XP systems often disabled by malware.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to the desktop. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Double-click on RatsCheddar.exe to launch the tool.
  • Select Enable for everything listed, then click Exit.
  • Restart your computer.
Warning: This program was developed for Windows XP ONLY. Do not run this program in any other Operating System.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users