Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jones777

jones777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

Hello,

This is my first time here so I hope I can make sense of my problem.

I am 75 years of age, but love my computer. Just recently when I boot up and my icons all come up on the screen, the last one to come up is My Computer files. It is not not an icon, it's my files as if I would have opened up My Computer. I have to close that, and then click on Explorer Internet. I think it is making it longer to boot up and also I can't figure out why it is suddenly doing this.

I looked on My Startup and it doesn't show that My computer is on that list and it's just showing up on my desktop. How can I stop this from happening? Also which is the best Brouser? I keep hearing that Windows Internet Explorer is having lots of problems. I have the option to use MSN. I recently loaded Skype, would this be causing problems?

Thank you all so much for any help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hi Jones777 and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Have you tried to open these files to see what they are?

If you right click on these files and choose delete in the drop down menu does it say that it will delete the files or the short cut? If it says that is will delete the short cut delete it. There are other ways to make this disappear but you want to know what those files are first and if they are stored anywhere else where they may be accessed. Let us know what you find.

As for a browser, many of us here use Firefox which is a stand alone browser. You can download it from here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jones777

jones777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thank you for responding. The files are my computer files, like if I would just click on My Computer and open all those files. I just click on the X and close them. They are all on my C drive and on Windows Explorer. They show up on my desktop just like if I would open up My Computer. They are all my folders and programs.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

When you start the computer, do you need to chose your username\enter a password before it loads?
If not, try this:
Click Start, then Log off.
If asked, choose Log off again. If it asks whether your sure, click Yes
You should get a screen where you can click your user name
(It will either something you chose when the computer was setup, your name, or Owner)

Post back and say whether the My computer window still opens.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 jones777

jones777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

Unfortunately, My Computer still comes up. On StartUp all my icons load and then when it gets to McAffee Virus Protect and my Spysweeper, that is when My Computer files comes up. I close that and then It continues on and I can click on my Windows Internet Explorer.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:19 AM

Hello jones777,

Please see the following Microsoft article:

The "My Documents" folder automatically opens every time that you log on to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users