Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Power Button To Turn Off Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

Hey,

I don't know whether this is in the right forum but:

How do I disable the Power Button for turning off the PC when it is held because my brother holds the button to turn the PC off and I say that he shouldn't otherwise he can ruin the PC.
I have had a look in the BIOS and it doesn't say anything about disabling the power button!

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

For XP
Click on control panel, double click on power options, select advanced.
There you will see several options. I suggest you choose "hibernate" or "do nothing".
I use hibernate all the time and it is much faster to boot up from hibernate.

Edited: I wrote task manager but should have said control panel. Hope this didn't cause you too much pain.

Edited by buddy215, 20 November 2007 - 07:52 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

I don't think there is a way to accomplish this by changing a setting. As I understand it, the whole "hold down the power button to kill the power" thing is built in to motherboards.

You could simply disconnect the power button from the MB. Of course that would mean that you couldn't use it to start the computer. Many modern MB's have options to start the computer via different methods. Mine, for example, can be set to start up when I press the space bar. The only caveat is that if there is a power outage, then the space bar thing won't work until after it's been turned on again one time.

So here's an idea: disconnect the power switch on the front bezel. Go down to Radio Shack and buy a cheap switch. Install the new switch somewhere really inconvenient, like somewhere on the I/O panel and connect the power switch lead from the motherboard to it. Then, if you want to/your motherboard supports it, you can set it to start up by pressing the space bar, moving the mouse, etc.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:12 AM

I don't know the level of you tech skills but there is another option. Disconnect the switch form the motherboard switch header and add one on the rear of the tower and wire it to the switch header. The switch is a momentary type that you can get from any electronics parts store. Or you could simply threaten you sibling with a fate worse than death.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:52 AM

Try right clicking on the Desktop and left click Properties. Select Screen Saver and click the Power Settings button. Under Advanced you can select what the Power Button will do when pushed.

I think this is where buddy215 was speaking of.

There are sometimes settings in BIOS that will also select what the button will do.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users