It all started when I downloaded a program...my gut told me not to do it...I should have listened.
****Here are my main symptoms:
-Began w/ random audio clips being played (even a commercial for Twix...?!) and random internet page pop-unders,...THEN, the fun really began...
-The fake error notices started popping up=fake error ballons in the task bar, fake error windows...I don't even know what is real or fake anymore, so I don't click anything (actually, never have, isn't that the way you activate a lot of these things?)
- I have new desktop icons appearing...some are for "casinos" or"hot dates"...neither of which I need and/or want, btw...the others are imposters of the traditional Windows "sheild" icons...except these two are blue and green...both say something about internet security center or something...they are both located in my start menu, and both link to this website, kukka or something like that (as I said before, no I do not click on these things, I checked their origin by right clicking and checking the properties label...smart huh? I hope sooo...)
- In addition to my newly acquired desktop icons, the icons and taskbar also like to do a disappearing act...and usually upon startup, I have the message on my desktop about "restore active desktop"...which I did click...but am now regretting, because it probably is fake too...
****Here is what I have done to TRY to fix the problem (obviously unsuccessfully):
1. I have downloaded and run Ad-Aware 2007, deleting what it finds, restarting after each time, until nothng is found
2. I downloaded and run Spybot, until nothing was found...each time, however, it is not long until ether one of these programs (Ad Aware and S+D) detects something again...I also have a question about Spybot--I sit there for a few minutes trying to decide on whether to allow some changes, or deny them...how do you know? There are so many popping up sometimes, and I don't want to do the wrong thing!
3. I downloaded Stinger, which I ran once....at this point, it becomes blurry because I am really getting frustrated...it takes me so long to even start up the laptop, and when I tried to shut it down today, it just kept telling me to contact an admin, that I was not authorized or something like that...
4. Another thing I did was update and scan with my Trend Micro, and installed SpySweeper...noth detected the problems, and claimed to fix them, but I am still having serious issues that are only getting worse, and those pesky desktop icons are still there...I will try to update my Java tomorrow, but that will not solve the problem by itself, right?
So, with that said, here are my questions:
1. How do you know if a problem is beyond help and needs to be taken to a professional...I am seeing on the spybot alerts a lot of registry and startup changes...
2. How hard is this going to be if I do it myself? I am decent with computers, but definitely not with viruses, I have never come across this before
3. Can the virus do its "dirty work" while my computer is off? Oh God please say no...
FYI...I am coming to you via my parent's laptop right now, because I do not even want to turn mine on...it turns my stomach to see it infiltrated like that
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!
Edited by JWUequine08, 19 November 2007 - 01:18 AM.