Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Maco

Maco

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

OK, this is really weird.

I have a backup PC for testing different things, for some reason when the PC boots up it hangs up & says that it doesn't recognize the HD, but if I put in the CD for the OS it continues without any problem. It doesn't matter the OS either, I have tried it with W98SE, XP Pro & the same for both. I even tried different HD's & the same. What is weird is the as it boots up it does recognize the HD & lists the brand, size, etc as it is supposed to. BIOS time is AOK & all equipment is recognized AOK also. Also, I tested the HD's & they R AOK.

I am lost here, would anybody have any idea what it could be? The mobo is an old socket A & it had been running AOK until now. Could it be something wrong with the Mobo?

TIA

Edited by Maco, 18 November 2007 - 07:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

well, the cmos battery could have failed, board failure, or HDD failure.

what does the BIOS show, for drives and for the date and time?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

Can you auto select in the Bios? and detect the drive.. I am leaning towards a possible dead cmos battery. If you can detect the drive properly in the Bios and try saving the information. Reboot the computer and see if it is set properly. If everything works ok try powering down the PC and rebooting it see if the information is still correct.. Check your date and time too this is a sure sign of a failing battery.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Maco

Maco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

BIOS shows everything AOK (Time, equipment, etc.) I tested the HD's to make sure & they R AOK.
I'll try a new battery tomorrow just to see.

Edited by Maco, 18 November 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Gosh, I am not sure I even understand the description of your problem, so before I offer any advice, I hope you can clear up a few things for me.

I even tried different HD's & the same.

Are you saying that if you put different hard drives in the suspect system, they do not work either?

Also, I tested the HD's & they R AOK.

I have no idea what RAOK means. Would you mind typing everything out so that there are no misunderstandings? Unless you don't mind someone possibly giving you advice that breaks your computer because you didn't take the time to be explicit? :thumbsup: Can I correctly assume you mean that if you put the hard drives in the another system and they work just fine?

when the PC boots up it hangs up & says that it doesn't recognize the HD

What is weird is the as it boots up it does recognize the HD & lists the brand, size, etc as it is supposed to

I thought you just said that it doesn't recognize the hard drive.....?

Have you by any chance tried using a different IDE cable and eliminating the cables as the source of the problem? One bad lead can allow the system to "see" it during boot, but not allow data transfer. Have you tried unplugging your CD player and plugging that cable into the hard drive instead, and thus eliminating the socket (and potentially the motherboard) as an issue?

And just as a friendly reminder, make sure to ground yourself out and unplug your system before swapping out hardware.

Edit: If your time settings are correct, that pretty much eliminates the battery being an issue.

#6 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:54 AM

R AOK.

maybe "are a-okay".

Since I've posted, I seem to remember having to boot a windows installation through a floppy. Could it be a problem with the windows installation, missing boot files, ntldr missing something like that.
That might get fixed through a simple - boot from the win cd - repair windows procedure.
About different hdds presenting the same problem, if that's the case that's really odd.

Well just a thought. :thumbsup:

Edited by nightspydk, 19 November 2007 - 02:56 AM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:19 AM

I am in agreement with groovicus if the time and date are correct then the battery is not the suspect.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 Maco

Maco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

Are you saying that if you put different hard drives in the suspect system, they do not work either?That's correct, since the message was about the HD I tried different HD's to make sure.

Also, I tested the HD's & they R AOK. = they are OK

when the PC boots up it hangs up & says that it doesn't recognize the HD
What is weird is the as it boots up it does recognize the HD & lists the brand, size, etc as it is supposed to
OK, as the PC boots up the BIOS recognizes all the hardware & proceeds to boot up to the OS installed, well, all the equipment is recognized without any problems whatsoever, but when it gets to the part that it starts the OS that's were it hangs & I get the message that it is an invalid system disk, etc. But if I put the OS CD again it boots up OK.

By the way, these are all brand new OS installs on that PC.
OK, let me tell you what I did this AM.
I checked with a new battery even thou I knew it was OK & still the same. So I proceeded to use a different IDE cable & VOILĄ all is OK, so the problem is solved. But this is weird because to my knowledge, if you have a BAD IDE CABLE you would have problems all the time not just when it boots up. When I was doing the fresh installs trying to find the problem, I never had any problems/errors whatsoever, the only issue was when I was done & then took out the OS CD & try to boot up.

Well, anyway THANK YOU for all the input & again the problem seems to be the cable. Take care.

Edited by Maco, 19 November 2007 - 07:52 AM.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

Sweet! Sometimes it is the simplest things.. :thumbsup:

I had an IDE cable go bad where it worked fine until the system heated up. When it got warm enough, one of the wires in the cable would pull apart, and the thing would crash. I suppose it is possible that the opposite happened; when the cable was cold, it wasn't making a connection, and once the wire warmed up, the connection closed. Really hard to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users