Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make A Restore Point, Make A Restore Point

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

Basic stuff, but how many of us actually take a few seconds to make a new Restore Point before making any changes to our machines???

Those few seconds can save hours of frustration.

Cheers :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

And after your restore point:

Back Up, Back Up, Back Up, Back Up!

System Restore will not bring back your personal files should they go to the great PCB in the sky. Buy yourself a cheap external hard drive and back up everything you need at least once a week. Or, look into an online backup solution.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

I 'restore' on my XP machine but on my main 98se machine? that beauty is another story :thumbsup:

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

For those who would like something better than System Restore:

ERUNT
The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Question: Should I disable Windows XP’s System Restore function when using ERUNT?
Answer: Yes! Though System Restore backs up more than just the registry, the registry is essentially all you need to revert your system to a previous state. Advantages of ERUNT over System Restore are that each restore folder is standalone and independent of the others, minimizing the risk of restore failures, and that a restore can easily be done from outside Windows. Also, ERUNT backups usually take up less hard drive space than System Restore’s restore points and may be individually deleted at any time. (Here is an excellent site about System Restore in case you prefer to leave it enabled.)
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/faq.htm

This is a great utility, especially for those who don't have a lot of disk space for storing bunches of System Restore Points. My ERUNT backups run about 30MB each, compared to the hundreds of MB's for System Restore. Old ones are easily removed. Just delete them.

I have a script to run System Restore on my first boot of the day. After that, I use ERUNT when testing software or experimenting with any changes to my system. Of course I also make manual backups regularly of any important data I wouldn't want to loose in the event of a serious system crash.

For ruby1:
I did some digging around Google to see if I could find something similar for older OS's. You might want to research this a bit more and see if this could be a better solution for you. From what I've read, although it originated with 95, it also works for 98 and Me.

http://www.night-internet.com/text/eru-help.htm

Download Eru.zip (toward bottom of page)
http://www.night-internet.com/sub/index-2.htm

Eruzip.exe from Microsoft (toward bottom of page)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q135315/

It looks like ERUNT is based on the old Microsoft ERU.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:00 AM

I know a good site for free online backup e snips
Its absolutely free to join and they offer you a generous 5BG of storage which is the main perk. Another thing I quiet like about it is that you can choose weather you want to share your files or not.
You have a few options to upload files:
- From the website
- Via email
- Or with the esnips toolbar

However. You are only able to upload 100MBs at a time and ZIP/RAR files are limited to 50MBs.

This site has alot to offer to check it out.
Hope this is of some help to those who need free backup.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hi mommabear,

I really like ERUNT for quick and easy registry backups and restores and had been thinking that would be more workable for me than System Restore. Thanks for confirming that.

I have a script to run System Restore on my first boot of the day.

Would you mind elaborating on this a little? That is, why and how do you do this? Thanks! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users