Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"webfile" Hijacks 404 Page

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zachary Braun

Zachary Braun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

My internet connection is at times spotty, which gives long "resolving host" status bar pauses. Since several years ago, teasing this occurrence too often nets me a visit to what I can only assume is "www.webfile.com" because the address in the location bar is the same as what I was trying to get to in the first place. This is with Netscape and IE. This makes me think that this page, webfile, has hijacked my normal 404 page that I would get with an internet timeout.

Everytime my connection to a potential website times out, I get this page. It is annoying because I must restart the browser for my chance of getting to my original destination to be re-realized. Refreshing the page just sends me to this Webfile again. It looks like one of those be-everything search gates. There are no ads or other malware on this page. It is really a benign hijack. But I would like to finally get to the bottom of this and restore my original 404 page with its associated refreshability.

Thanks for any help. I do see the admins are quite taxed on this forum. I hope I won't be too much trouble. Adaware and a multifarity of other applications have not been able to pick this "hijack" up.

Hijack this log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:49:27 AM, on 11/18/07
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TABLET.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINJECT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC\LIVEUPDATE\ALUSCHEDULERSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB10.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BROWSERSAFE\BHR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTERNAT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BROWSERSAFE\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\ACROBAT\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolshare\Coach\en_en\player\plugin\ToolBar.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb10.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BHR] C:\PROGRAM FILES\BROWSERSAFE\BHR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Tablet] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tablet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CSINJECT.EXE] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ALU Scheduler Service] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolshare\Coach\en_en\player\plugin\ToolBar.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolshare\Coach\en_en\player\plugin\ToolBar.dll (file missing)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_1_0_0_44.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = zack.sirkain.com

--
End of file - 4206 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zachary Braun

Zachary Braun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:39 AM

I have been deleting some things and registry keys, most notably a some values in my registry that said "hitfarm" "webfile" and "thatmeta" which I remember reading is part of a malicious group. I deleted two entire registry folders under Internet Explorer's registry entitled "Find Doc Spec MRU" because they looked like they had a handful of unfriendly things in them, namely a registry key relating to the hosts file and all of the keys mentioned above.

But my webfile timeout/404 page still persists.

Here is an updated version of my HijackThis Log. It's smaller and readable now.

Sorry to bother you.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:36:04 AM, on 11/19/07
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TABLET.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINJECT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC\LIVEUPDATE\ALUSCHEDULERSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB10.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\NETSCAPE BROWSER\NETSCAPE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTERNAT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BROWSERSAFE\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\ACROBAT\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb10.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Tablet] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tablet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CSINJECT.EXE] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ALU Scheduler Service] C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = zack.sirkain.com

--
End of file - 3285 bytes

#3 Zachary Braun

Zachary Braun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:59 AM

I do believe I have solved this problem: It seems to have been a file called "WEBFIL~1.OCX" in my SYSTEM folder. I was not able to find it because of the DOS-style truncated name. I've deleted the file. If the problem does not resurface in five more days I'll request for this topic to be closed and the problem resolved.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,636 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hi Zachary Braun,

Our apologies for not being able to assist you with this but glad you seem to have gotten it straightened out. Do let us know if you need any more help and sharing what you did to resolve the problem.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Zachary Braun

Zachary Braun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:32 PM

This topic has been resolved. The problem has not resurfaced.

Problem: "Webfile" would reroute http timeout or 404 code to its own webpage, webfile.com, with the URL remaining as the domain name of the original place I had intended to go. Page could not be reloaded with "refresh" or "F5"; browser had to be restarted in order to clear browser session cache (as opposed to data cache).

Solution: Search for "*web*" using a simple Windows file search on my hard drive. The asterisks act as search wildcards, returning anything that has "web" before, after, or within the filename.

File "WEBFIL~1.OSX" was found in SYSTEM folder (this is for Windows 98). This is an active X controller. Looking at the properties of this .OSX indicates that it is indeed a "WebFile controller". File was deleted.

The registry was then scanned one last time for any instances of the word "webfile". All matching tags and values, and anything looking suspiciously related, were deleted.

Problem has been solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users