Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this error mean?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wazz

wazz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

I keep getting this error window popping up,

"MSNIASVC caused a stack fault in module MSNIAWA.DLL at 0167:0205d285."

And goes on to say that it has performed an illegal operation and it will shut down.

Anybody have any thoughts on whats going on and what I can do to fix it??
Thanks
Wazz..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:21 PM

Does it happen everytime you restart the computer?

I would restart the computer in Safe Mode (directions can be found at Safe Mode Tutorial), and defrag the hard drive there. Restart the computer normally, and see if the problem goes away.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:24 PM

Wazz, I have searched and searched for this error for you and all I can come up with is this:

MSNIA/MSNIASVC.EXE - Added with MSN version 9. Resets certain internet settings upon bootup and can't be disabled via MSCONFIG

The best thing I can tell you really is to do a System Restore. You'll probably find this feature by Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.
Periodically, your PC will take a snapshot of your entire system when everything is running smoothly. It records these dates on a calendar that you will find when you get to System Restore. Select a recent date on that calendar before that problem began. It's best to do this in Safe Mode.

Let us know if this helped.

#4 jsw

jsw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

I keep getting this error window popping up,

"MSNIASVC caused a stack fault in module MSNIAWA.DLL at 0167:0205d285."

And goes on to say that it has performed an illegal operation and it will shut down.

Anybody have any thoughts on whats going on and what I can do to fix it??
Thanks
Wazz..

I'm getting the same message too. For me it began after I installed NIS 2005. The other strange thing is that once I clear the error, when I bring my mouse pointer to my dialup icon, it disappears leaving the only way for me to disconnect is to shutdown/restart my computer!

JSW

Any ideas?

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

From what I've found, this seems to have something to do with MSN's dialup accelerator. I've never much trusted the things to accelerate anything. But hunting around the net, I haven't found anyone who was sure of the problem.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

Hi jsw and welcome to BC

In your case, until you figure out how to get rid of that error, if you were to press Ctrl+Alt+Del it will bring up the Close Program box you can highlight your connection there and click end task.

If you are unsure of what to click on then post back here with a list of what is in there and we will let you know.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 jsw

jsw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

From what I've found, this seems to have something to do with MSN's dialup accelerator. I've never much trusted the things to accelerate anything. But hunting around the net, I haven't found anyone who was sure of the problem.

I tried what you suggested, and unfortunately it didn't work. But thank you for the advice.

#8 Jeannie

Jeannie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:03 PM

GREAT! I have been going round and round with this and all the msn techs in India trying to figure this thing out, and of course you know they aren't going to tell you "I don't know", they gotta tell you things like, it has to be a corrupted file on your computer, remove all your dial up protocols, un-install Explorer, reinstall msn9,you have very bad luck,you need to re-install your operating system, you have a virus, get a different AV program, get a different firewall-----and on and on forever. WHY the hell is it no one in this life has the :thumbsup: to say "I don't know"?

Thanks for being out there and being truthful!

:flowers:

Mod Edit: This has been edited to remove questionable language.

Edited by scarlett, 28 March 2005 - 07:39 AM.

#9 pathbear

pathbear

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:49 AM

I am new here, I too have the problem with the error :MSNIASVC caused a stack fault in module MSNIAWA.DLL at 0167:0205d285
I read all the post and far as I could tell no one could help. One person said to use system restore, on Windows 98 there is no such thing. this really getting to be a pain. anyone who really knows the answer please help. thank you pathbear

#10 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:26 AM

OK Pathbear,this's what I could find in my favourite resource(Rick Maybury's Boot
Up.)"stack pages are 4kilobyte chunks of memory Windows sets aside for emergencies-to prevent system crash when it runs out of memory.,WHEN loading
device drivers.Most times Windows allcates 2 spare stack pages,most x thats enough but sometimes not.!"Bear with me on this one-it's only midnight here.
THE SOLUTION: is to increase the number of stack pages!OPEN system ini with
Notepad (Start/Programs/Accessories)Click Open on File Menu&look for system ini
in the Windows Folder.Scroll down to (386Enh)(near top);@end of section ADD
"MinSP's=4" no commas-Save file & restart/reboot. IF it still happens increase
number of spare stack pages further-BUT ALWAYS IN MULTIPLES OF 4=nxt time
"MinSP"s=8. Also bear ,since this is memory problem,try to avoid memory xpnsve
programmes(GAMES) & My instinct would be to Defrag Ram(FAST DEFRAG)now
&then/ or try Free Ram XP (Yourware Solutions) or Brilliant free program MAXMEM
from Easydesk Software-OR+another stick of RAM for $20! GOOD LUCK hope we
gave you some ideas.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:18 AM

MSNIA/MSNIASVC.EXE - Added with MSN version 9

I would suggest rolling back to MSN 6.2 or 7. Perhaps MSN 9 is a little too advanced for Windows 98. That is not uncommon with newer software designed primarily for newer operating systems.

One person said to use system restore, on Windows 98 there is no such thing.

To restore your registry in 98 you repeatedly press F8 as the computer boots until you see a black screen with a menu with white lettering. Use the arrow keys to select Command prompt only and press enter. You will then see "C:\>". At this point type in the following exactly as shown and then press enter:

scanreg /restore

You will see a blue screen with five backup registrys to choose from. Using the arrow keys again pick one with a date before you installed MSN 9 and press enter. This will restore a previous registry.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users