Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Xp Recovery Disc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

Hi all, a friend of mine has a packard bell pc with no recovery disc supplyed,, on packard bell's you make your owne recovery disc's with a program pre installed called P/Bell, creat my recovery disc,,,,, which she did'nt do & lost her HDD,,,, everything gone including all Packard Bell programs pre installed,,, she has had a genuin version off WIN XP SER PAC 2 installed by a shop where she lives for about 30 quid,,, is there anyway she can make her owne recovery disc of her OS now.. just incase it goes west again & to save another 30 quid,,,,, thanks all,,,,,,,,,, Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nitti

nitti

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

If you formated the drive on the clean install, you may have destroyed the recovery capability (Smart Restore)

Press the F11 key (may be a different key on some models, look at the menus as the computer starts) on startup to start the recovery program,

Note that you can only create your recovery CD/DVD once, so if you do make one, do a couple of copies with your burning software, in case you mislay one.

brax

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

The OS and the hard drive were compleatly wiped,,, a new winxp was installed by the comp shop where she took it,,, can i she make a copy of the os so she has a recovery disc to reinstall the os incase she loses it again as her kids keep getting viruses & malware,,,, is there a software program to create a os backup,, like the one packard bell pc's have preinstalled,,,,,,,,, thanks,,,, Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 nitti

nitti

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

You can use a program like Ghost to make a image of the drive, but the "computer shop" that installed xp should have given her the disk, she may have problems with optional updates.

brax

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

I've never had to do one so don't take my info as the correct solution. You need to ghost your hard drive image. There are some freeware applications to do this but most people buy Norton's Ghost or the more preferable Acronis True Image
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:31 AM

I would phone Packard Bell support and ask them to send a new set of disks. Normally they will only charge you a nominal fee for this.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

order a copy of the os restore disk from the company who made the computer. If its still under warrenty it should be free.
If not it should be less then $20 USD I dont know what the price is in Europe

#8 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

thanks for your help all,,,,,, i will tell her to contact Packard Bell and ask for a OS restore disc,,,,, as regards the shop that reinstalled win xp for her, i think it was one of those discs where you can install on the product key about 3-5 times if you pay, its not a dodgy copy because she gets win updates, once again thanks all,,,,,,,,,Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:32 PM

All computer shops if there for real will have OS disks to restore any copy of Windows OS. Theres not breaking any rules.
Its just the re installation disk and they use your key that your computer comes with from the sticker on the Back/Bottom/Top/Side/ of your case. I know I have a copy of each for my shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users