Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Copy Os Over To A New Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michel Joe

Michel Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

I would like to upgrade my laptop with a larger hard drive. I知 using XP and Ubutu with a dual boot program that came with Ubuntu. I already have an USB/Firewire 2.5 hard drive enclosure for the older 44 pin connector, which is what my computer has. (It is not the new SATA connector). It looks like for the price, the 160 gig HD is what I値l be buying for the replacement HD. Then use the old one out of the laptop in the enclosure, as external drive.

Now, Here is my the question what Software Solutions is out there where I can use an USB connection, to copy over my entire original drive to the new one. I also would like to resize my partition and keep my OS working. I would appreciate any help or suggestion.

Thanks, Michel Joe :thumbsup:

Edited by Michel Joe, 18 November 2007 - 01:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

Acronis True Image
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:41 AM

Agreed, I've been using TrueImage for several years for this purpose.

If at least one of the drives is Seagate or Maxtor, you are entitled to download and use the free Seagate DiscWizard, which is based on Acronis TrueImage:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:44 AM

The download is there for anyone who wishes to use it, you don't have to purchase one of their drives to use their tool. The diskwizard actually has an OEM version of Acronis's True Image, it isn't based on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Michel Joe

Michel Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for the help, I need to pick up a new HD and try out the new software.
Again Thanks !!!!! I appreciate your help. :thumbsup:

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Anybody can download DiskWizard but a Seagate or Maxtor drive is required to be present for it to function:

"1.3.1 Minimum system requirements
Seagate DiscWizard requires the following hardware:
At least one Seagate Technology or Maxtor disc drive"

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users