Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 eggy1004

eggy1004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

model: inspiron E1505
microsoft windows xp
media center edition
version 2002
service pack 2

genuine intel® cpu
t2050 @1.60ghz
1.60ghz. 0.99gb of ram

due to a virus/spyware/malware whatever it was i reinstalled windows xp on my laptop with the cd that microsoft provided.

i did a clean installation and now i don't have any internet connection

all i have is the 1394 connection which i don't know what it is..

i normally have two icons in my network connections.
wireless connection2 and i can't remember if the other one was local connection or just wireless connection.

both of these are gone.

i browsed around and saw that i had to reinstall ethernet/wireless card drivers since my laptop might not be recognizing it.

but the cd that also came with microsoft, has a list of all the the network drivers installed checked except a intel ® PRO/WIRELESS NEWTORK CONNECTION Rev:a10

but when i open setup i get
the little fan like icon in the task manager says that i still don't have no supported wireless adapters available in the system,

for device manager the only error i have is yellow question marks for "other device" that include

BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
ETHERNET CONTROLLER
NETWORK CONTROLLER
SM BUS CONTROLLER
VIDEO CONTROLLER
VIDEO CONTROLLER (vga compatible)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

Those yellow markings indicate that drivers are missing for those devices...or those are some sort of residue.

I would remove (via Device Manager) each of the items with a yellow marking...reboot XP...use the driver disk which came with the system to install all drivers.

XP will only install drivers which are needed for devices currently without such.

Then...take a look in Device Manager and see what is troublesome.

Louis

#3 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

should i disable or uninstall ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Uninstall.

Louis

#5 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

well the thing is i don't know wat the drivers are because no information is provided in the properties.
and when the "found new hardware wizard" poped up it couldn't find the hardware in the cd also.

Edited by eggy1004, 18 November 2007 - 11:31 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

I guess that, once again, I don't understand.

The drivers CDs that I am used to...usually have an autorun/setup feature that is activated when the CD is inserted. The setup feature then proceeds to check the hardware on the system and install any drivers that need to be installed from that CD.

If there is no autorun feature on the CD, there is a setup/install feature which the user can manually activate by browsing to the CD in Explorer view.

The Found New Hardware Wizard will...if I remember correctly...only install drivers for devices detected which are already loaded with XP.

Try following this: Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Louis

#7 nitti

nitti

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

You need to get the missing drivers from Dells website, they are not on the Microsoft CD.

brax

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

See if this link will help,

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:04 PM

At times it helps to add the service tag number at the link for that on Crizz44's link - that'll prune down the drivers that you've gotta choose from and will make it easier to find and install them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

well i don't have a floppydrive in my laptop, and the only cd burner i have is on the laptop with no internet connection.
i guess ill just have to find someone with a cd burner and burn it onto the cd

but um since going to the website, how would i know what drivers to install.
all im getting in the device manager is these
BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
ETHERNET CONTROLLER
NETWORK CONTROLLER
SM BUS CONTROLLER
VIDEO CONTROLLER
VIDEO CONTROLLER (vga compatible)

without any info on any of these drivers. there are 3 base system device listed here,
how would i know what is what

for the video drivers- intel graphics video Rev:a07 (intel) graphics media accelerator driver
when i go into setup after finishing i get on more more files required installaiton are either missing or corrupt. setup will exit?
does that mean that the cd is damaged?

also what hardware is responsible with the hibernate, standy option?
because i am only able to shutdown or restart =[

Edited by eggy1004, 19 November 2007 - 05:29 PM.

#11 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

another thing i found out is that, the on the cd it says in the system model slot inspiron ME051.
when the model for my laptop says E1505 . i dind't really think anything serious about it.
does that have do to with the actually model number? or is it jjst some other number

#12 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

Do you see a service tag number anywhere on the laptop? As Usasma stated, if you put in the service tag number, it will give you the specific drivers for your computer. On the link I sent at the top it has "Add or Edit Service Tag", click that and put in your service tag, to be safe I would download all the drivers possible so you will have them.

I believe after you install your pcmcia drivers that your Base system device's will be fixed. Usasma may know more on that. You need your video, network, your chipset drivers will take care of the sm bus controller.

Hopefully you can find your service tag on the bottom of your laptop, it will help to narrow down your driver options.

Try this to help locate your service tag:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&doclang=en

#13 nitti

nitti

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

here is the link to the drivers for your laptop, the wireless is under network, and it is the last one listed. (the intel one)

brax

Edited by nitti, 19 November 2007 - 08:28 PM.

#14 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

thanx going to see if i can put all those drivers in dell into my mp3 and move it into the laptop

Edited by eggy1004, 22 November 2007 - 09:05 PM.

#15 eggy1004

eggy1004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:01 PM

well after downloading what (nitti) said . the last one listed for the wireless network.
after having in setup in my laptop it still says that hardware is not installed nothing different to with what the cd did. so my cd wasn't the problem.
i had downloaded all the drivers (communications, communications communications, audio,video,wirelessnetwork)
and restarted the comp but still not getting my wireless network.

the "have found new hardware" pops up but it can't seem to find the drivers when i set the folders to the folders i had made with the drivers.

i had taken pictures of what is wrong

Attached Files

Edited by eggy1004, 22 November 2007 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users