Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is A Good General Diagnostic To Post Here?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

I am wanting to just see how my computer is doing, and was looking for a good diagnostic to run, and to post up here on the board, so someone could see if my system is doing well. I think there are a few programs running that I don't need, however, I need some help to see if that's true or not, and then a tutorial to help remove them.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:30 AM

Generally if you don't notice anything wrong with your computer it's running ok. There may be some programs that you don't need running in the back ground, but if they are not slowing your system down then I would just leave them alone. What you should do is keep all of your security software updated and run regular scans, with the larger hdd today it's not as important as it use to be but you still need to defrag it occasionally. Updating also includes your OS, this is as important as the security software as the updates include patches that help protect you from intruders. Other than that...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

Being a minimalist at heart, I always think a clean hard drive is a happy hard drive. You can certainly check the applications that launch at startup against the BC Startup List (tabbed above) and delete those you don't need or use frequently. Using Windows Disk Cleanup, reviewing and archiving your documents and media, then running checkdisk (also called scandisk) and defragging will certainly keep your computer running smoothly.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:00 AM

My only additional comment would be that it's worthwhile to run chkdsk on a routine basis, since not doing so will eventually frustrate defrag attempts (and possibly cause idiosyncracies in the system).

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

http://www.ehow.com/how_2037270_run-chkdsk.html There is no point in having chkdsk run in simple read mode, so just check the two boxes when running it via My Computer/Explorer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users