Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98se to xp pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twisted

twisted

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:04 AM

Just got a new laptop with xp pro pre installed. I thought I would get smart and update my old desk top with the supplied disc. :thumbsup: This obviously does not work. What now? I aborted the install and tried to return to 98se with a legit disc, but no go.

I would like to get my whole network on the same OS, this also includes a unit with NT, but that's probably a thread unto itself!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

You cant use the same xp license on two computers. Not gonna work.
What happens when you try to install 98 back on?

#3 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:05 AM

format you hardrive. sincei running older versions of windows before xp. you can install xp over the old versions without formating you can just use update (as long as you have a legal copy not from another computer) but if you want to go back before xp formating only will let you install it back on. if you try to install 98 wile xp is on it will probably say its an older version or something. you should be able to find out how to format the system on the internet if u don't know how or someone might be able to tell you on here.
he is a web page that might help depending if you can load windows.

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/re...all-win98.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users