Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Really Need All Those Java Updates?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fuddamukka333665

fuddamukka333665

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

Almost all of the Java updates on my computer are over 100 MB in size. I have, like, 5 updates. Do I really need all of them? I don't think I do because one of them is called J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7 and the rest are all Environment 6. I'm just making sure whether or not all of these are necessary before I go uninstalling things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

No, you can delete all but the latest.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

With JRE, the "updates" are new releases of the entire application. You can safely delete all prior versions once you have installed the latest.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bill_J

Bill_J

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:06 AM

It sure pays to use the "Search Topic" feature on this forum. I was about to post the exact same question, glad I didn't. Thanks for the answer!
Bill_J

#5 heliotrope

heliotrope

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thanks, everyone. I registered just to let you know I found this with a Google search for "Do I really need all these Java updates?"

Praise Google from whom all blessings flow.

Joe

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

I wish the Java application would just update overtop your current version rather than install a completely new copy. It's just too much extra work removing the old applications.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I tried to run an online scan with Trendmicro Housecall. When I visited the site, it asked me to install a Java Housecall Kernal. When I do that, it wants to install an OLD version of Java. Version 5, Update 3 even though I have the latest....what's going on here? I use Vista Home Premium and Java Version 6, Update 4.

#7 beccajane

beccajane

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hehe, search sure pays off! I had the exact same question! Thanks ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users