Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computor Freezing And Locking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ksmith68

ksmith68

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

Have been receiving 2 error messages: OE:0028:C000D0C1 and OE:0028:C002F972 ----- computor would lock up and I would have to reboot. It seemed to be o.k. in safe mode. Searched the internet & found some usefull info on this website. I finally took the computer apart, cleaned everything with compressed air and checked that fans were working. Reassembled and ran "scanreg /restore", turned off Norton Anti-virus, and also restored the ME system back to about 2 weeks ago when I knew it to be o.k.

The computer seems to be running good now (its been about 15 minutes), so can anyone tell me :
1) What caused this problem?
2) How do I keep it from reoccuring (should I be running Process Explorer, Killbox, or HijackThis?)
3) Can I enable Norton Anti-virus again?

This is my mother-in-laws computer and I'm afraid this is going to happen again. It's taken me 2 days to get it running again and I'm not sure what it was that fixed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ken

Edited by ksmith68, 17 November 2007 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Looks as though you have only posted a portion of the error message.
If it works fine in Safe Mode chances are something running in the background is causing the problem.
The entire error message would certainly be a big help!

1) Its Windows.
2) See #1
3) No, In fact uninstall it totally using the Norton Removal Tool! Could be part of the problem!
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

Not many people like Norton products here. Its a resource hog & slows the system down dramaticaly!
You MUST use the Norton Removal tool from their website to completely uninstall the product.
If you are using Windows ME chances are real good that your Norton subscription expired many years ago.
Rendering the product basically worthless anyway.

Get AVG Antivirus http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-...-virus/us/frt/0
It is a vastly superior product amd it is free!

Edited by Eyesee, 17 November 2007 - 09:34 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:13 AM

you will find that avg FREE (version 7.5)is far more computer-friendly than Norton

Norton removal tool is

norton removal tool
select the appropriate part for what you have on board

then suggest take these free programs and all easily updateable on board too for extra protection

spybot

superantispyware FREE edition
asquared FREE edtion
and all easily run on full deep scans :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

Overheating doesn't normally give a error. It will just shut down. It's good to clean the inside on a routine basis though
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users