Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assignment Due 2moro. Got A Virus.. Pleas Help Asap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ddinesh7

ddinesh7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

Hi thanks in advance for letting me post on this website... i have a virus :flowers: and it keeps making my taskbar/desktop refresh everytime i turn on my computer and open control panel or my computer... :thumbsup: i have an assignment due 2moro and it wont let me open my documents... please help me asap.. ive scanned with Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 and spybot S&D. They both pick up 2 or three things and they delete them .. but the virus is still there because the taskbar still keeps refreshing and dissapearing on and off.. also btw.. how do i use safe mode.. i booted my computer in2 it and the taskbar still wasnt there...
Hijack this keeps freezing so i cant get a log.. please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hello and welcome ddinesh7
As I see your in a situation
Please tell me wht OS you are using (XP,Vista etc )
have you tried prforming your scans in safe mode
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

You should also Download,Install ,update reboot into safe mode and scan the root Drive, eg C:\ , with SUPERAntiSpyware .

Let us know how you are doing..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ddinesh7

ddinesh7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

haha yeah its a reall bastard of a virus... im using windows xp .. its windows xp home edition.. i tried booting it in safe mode and there was no task bar.. it was juz a black screen with writing at the top.. ill runn that program for now

Thanks for replying so quick

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:18 PM

Then do the Super any way from normal mode
Also here's an Online scan no safe mode needed.
ESET Online Scanner

safe mode is important to help remove a stubborn Virus but sometimes we can win.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ddinesh7

ddinesh7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

okay... ima try scan and see what hapns.. ill try in safe mode azwel.. im juz scared i wont be able 2 control the taskbar .. somehow its undercontrol at the moment... ok ill get back 2 u... thanks

#6 ddinesh7

ddinesh7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

thank you so much :D it works now hahahha w00t !! lol i neva really used safe mode b4.. thanks so much :D

Dinesh,,, really appreciated

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

If the malware issues are resolved, you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

You're welcome and thanks to you too Quietman7. As you were pressed for time with homework I just pushed you thru to see if at least you could finish.

Windows Safe Mode is a way of booting up your Windows operating system in order to run administrative and diagnostic tasks on your installation. When you boot into Safe Mode the operating system only loads the bare minimum of software that is required for the operating system to work. This mode of operating is designed to let you troubleshoot and run diagnostics on your computer. Windows Safe Mode loads a basic video drivers so your programs may look different than normal.

from BC safe mode tutorial

In other words it loads the minimum amount of stuff so windows can run and most active virus aren't able to run there and resist deletion.

Edited by boopme, 18 November 2007 - 01:06 PM.
add notationn to quote

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

To expand on what boopme said about safe mode.

The Windows operating system protects files when they are being accessed by an application or a program. Malware writers create programs that can insert itself and hide in these protected areas when the files are being used. Using "Safe Mode" reduces the number of modules requesting files to only the essentials to make your computer functional. This in turn reduces the number of hiding places for malware, making it easier to find and delete the offending files.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users