Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfsong

Wolfsong

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

:: Points :: There's the information up there about my modem. Well, we have Insight Digital internet and have been using a Vonage box hooked up to the modem to use the internet. That works just fine with out computer because we can hook the Ethernet up to our main computer and to my laptop. We recently got another computer though. We are trying to get it fixed. It's an older computer, I don't know exactly how old though, and doesn't have an ethernet hookup in the back. Okay, that was fine. I decided to use the USB cable on the back of the cable modem since we were using the Ethernet and not the USB.

It doesn't work.

I put the USB in the back of the older computer, watched the new hardware dialog come up, inserted the disk that came with the modem. The computer says that it installed successfully, but when I try to get on the internet, nothing. It isn't the isp though, because the disk that Insight gave us isn't used anymore to hook up to the internet. The cable modem comes on at the bottom of the screen in the "safely remove hardware" dialog in the toolbar.

I thought maybe it was just the computer, so I hooked it up to my laptop ( Which I am using at the moment). Same thing...it installed, asked for the disk, said it was installed, but didn't work ( Only prettier, the laptop has Vista ). It also came up at the bottom of the toolbar on the "safely remove hardware" dialog.

Can anyone help me? The computer I am trying to hook up to the internet is working with Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

Well...in my limited experience with those dual modems, you have to remove the drivers from one way...in order to use the drivers for the other way.

Since you started with the regular ethernet drivers, you need to remove those and install the USB drivers for the same function.

There should be an instruction in your manual for that modem advising you of something like this.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Louis

#3 Wolfsong

Wolfsong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

So, are you saying that I can't use the USB and the Ethernet at the same time?

I was afraid of this.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:51 AM

That's not what I am saying...that's what the modem manufacturer says (for the dual modems which I've bothered to look up the specs for).

You need to consult your modem manual/user guide and read it.

http://www.thomson.net/EN/Home/MiniSites/B...egory=Cab_Modem

Things change all the time in the world of computing...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2007 - 11:53 AM.

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

and if you use the ethernet, you can not use the USB. I have had 2 rca modems and a linksys and you have to use one or the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users