Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do You Think My Next Upgrade Should Be?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grendelvamp

grendelvamp

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

I've been really busy upgrading lately, especially with some of the latest games that have come out. I'm waiting to play Crysis, I picked it up this past Friday. Haven't been able to play it because I'm waiting for some computer parts. Anyhow, this is my rig:

AMD X2 5600 2.8 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT OC 512MB
650 Watt PSU
Sound Blaster Audigy

I think that the weakest link is my sound card, but I'm angry with Creative after buying Vista, so I'm waiting for my options to increase.

I dunno if I'm going to be able to play Crysis at decent settings, but I'm hoping for at least a little above medium settings if not the low end of high.

Anyhow, any suggestions on what to tackle next would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

You should be able to play on medium settings, and a good resolution with that set up.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:19 PM

My God! What does it take to play the game on high? I see now how people drop thousands of dollars on their computers. 8 years ago it was a mystery to me.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

I can play Crysis on all options full with a 7900 GS, 2G of Ram, and a dual 2.4 Opteron. I can't imagine why you would not be able to play with everything maxed.

#5 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

Whew, thats good to know. Are you running Vista or XP? Maybe the DirectX10 is what is putting such a strain on systems. I've been checking some forums to see what kind of rig ppl are playing Crysis on. Some of them have nicer setups than mine and are reporting frame rates around 30 - 35. I was hoping for a lil more than that.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:44 AM

Tomshardware review said they only averaged around 30-35FPs with an 8800GTX, Q6600 processor (quad core, 2.4ghz), and 4gb of ram (only registered as like 2800mb because they were running 32-bit vista). This was when they were running everything on medium settings, 4XAA (I think), and 1280X960 resolution.

When I was running the game with my ATI X1900gt (not as good as a 7900Gs, but not by a huge difference) I could only run at medium/ low settings and 1024X768 resolution to average around 30FPS.

You probably could put everything on high but you will have some bad lag spikes at times. You should just try the game out and mess with the settings how you like.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users