Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 meche

meche

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

I have a desktop and a laptop. The problem is that the laptop recognizes the router, it says that is connected to belkin 54g and that the signal quality is excellent. But cannot connect to the internet. Then, when I disconnect the usb cable between the modem and the desktop, the laptop connects to the internet but not the desktop. The router is well connected (it has the ethernet cable and the other cable that connects to the computer). The man from the cable company said that I cannot have the ethernet cable and the usb cable connected at the same time, but when disconnected the usb, the networks connections dissappeared. So, he said that the problem is that the desktop has the ethernet card damaged, because the laptop stills connecting through the router when I disconnect the desktop from the internet. I want to know if this can be correct because I don't know too much about this. I have windows xp. If you need more info please ask. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slingroland

slingroland

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Hi Meche,

That could be a possible solution to the problem. It's a cheap fix, as nic's generally only run 15$. But yes, you only want either the RJ-45 connection or USB, not both. It's possible that the nic on your desktop may need it's drivers reinstalled - and your connections set up correctly. Otherwise, trying a new card would be the next easiest thing to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users