Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Programming

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

I was asked to make a program using excel for the main purpose of managing shares, stocks, investments and others. That's why I am looking for good tutorials for excel programming, for this will be my first time doing something of the sort.
If any1 could give good recomendations and/or tips, it would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance guys. As usual, life savers ;)

Just noticed that Excel Programming is VB. So also comments on this area would be helpful.

Edited by petocities, 17 November 2007 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:17 AM

Are you asking how to set up a spreadsheet to "manage" investments, or perhaps about Macros to automate the process? I think it would help us if you could clarify what you expect the spreadsheet to do.
Thanks,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 petocities

petocities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hey john.
My objective is to "manage" some investments in order to get some outputs, but i think I am aimin to get my hands on some sort of tutorial or introduction to excel programming, specifically macros. The truth is that I do not know how it works very much, but my guess is that I have to work with macros, and maybe a bit more.
I've already researched a little bit about macros, but I haven't found a good reference in order to "create" my own macros without using the macros recorder. ¿Do I make myself a bit clearer?
thanks for your help again
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

I am still not sure what you are attempting to do to manage a portfolio, or what kind of "outputs" you want or where you want these outputs to go. You may not need to do any sort of programming if you design your worksheet properly.
Cheers,
John

#5 petocities

petocities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:55 AM

I'll re check my needs, and try to clearify the problem, which is still cloudy for me. This (the problem being cloudy) is in part due because i still do not know the problem specs very well yet, but just an overview, and also because my own incapability to use Excel properly, which limits my knowledge of the possible solutions I could use.
If further help is needed, i'll come back ;)
thanks for your time john

Edited by petocities, 20 November 2007 - 06:00 AM.

Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

By all means, try to clarify in your own mind at least, what you want to accomplish with Excel. Once your needs are defined, we can either suggest possible solutions, or point you towards appropriate tutorials, etc..
Readily available at most bookstores are shelves of Excel guides, but you might get the most out of "Excel for Dummies" which is a good introduction for the average user new to spreadsheets. You can also find some help on the Microsoft Office site.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users