Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hesitating: Oem Xp-sp2b

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 commart

commart

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

I've built my own box--first time--and am ready to install an operating system. Because I assembled all of the components, I ordered in the Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) version of XP-SP2b. The package, seal yet unbroken, has arrived but with this unanticipated warning printed on it: "If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system or application software, it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK).

Will the OPK be part of the disk in the package?

A quick trip to http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/OPK/ seems to lead right quick to induction in some kind of distributor's user group, and I don't want to go there.

Essentially, I have manufactured just one machine for my use--no question: I'm the "system builder" on it--but I hesitate to open the OEM package without assurance.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

Download and install: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I cannot answer questions about the package which you claim to have, but I know the above link works. Just download, install, no monkey business.

Louis

#3 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:04 PM

You should be able to put the XP CD in the cd drive and your good to go.
I'm having a little trouble understanding the link posted as it's related to installing SP2 over a network of computers, or am I missing something here due to having to much to drink today?
The OEM Preinstallation Kit is for manufactures of several to thousands of computers and makes the install of XP quicker. Don't know why you would need that.
X

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

The network install...has been used by many individual users...since SP2 became available.

It's probably the primary source for slipstreaming SP2 into XP CDs which precede SP2. In fact, I believe it was available for download before the WinUpdate site got its act together and remains available for download by anyone who requires SP2 and does not have the SP2 CD.

Louis

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

I ordered in the Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) version of XP-SP2b.

Thought he had SP2.
Thought he was posting on how he should proceed with installing XP on his brand new home build?

Edited by CTH_Tom, 17 November 2007 - 04:18 PM.

X

#6 commart

commart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

You should be able to put the XP CD in the cd drive and your good to go.
I'm having a little trouble understanding the link posted as it's related to installing SP2 over a network of computers, or am I missing something here due to having to much to drink today?
The OEM Preinstallation Kit is for manufactures of several to thousands of computers and makes the install of XP quicker. Don't know why you would need that.

Re. " . . . to much to drink today?" I am trying to catch up with you.

:flowers:

j/k, albeit with a glass of Merlot.

I will check out the online URL noted.

This thread involves one business/personal computer that has been pretty much put together for photography and assembled to the point where BIOS shows up and wants to go on to the next step--booting into an OS. Based on raves at New Egg, I chose an OEM version of XP-SP2.

While there is a communications network here--cable : Linksys Router --> girlfriend's MAC notebook and my now old Athlon 64 machine, via which I'm typing--there is no network involving multiple linked computer. As soon as I bring the new box online, I will retire the old one.

My question involves curiosity about what's actually in the software package--with the seal intact, I could turn around and sell it on Ebay--and whether I would have been or would be better off, or not, with the retail version. The package warns, " . . . must be preinstalled . . . using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)." Is the OPK included in the envelope I have?

I am a "system builder" as regards my own system: I have manufactured one computer and am giving it to myself. :thumbsup:

Is this much ado or have I been warned by MS (to be in the manufacturing business) and will be soon ordering the retail version, like it or not?

All that asked, I'm going to check out the URL noted with hopes that it will provide a clue or solution to this, so far, $140 mystery.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

It seems to me that he's got an XP installation disk with Service Pack 2 already slipstreamed into it. The question is...will he have to use the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) in order to install XP?

I believe that he can, but haven't actually seen this situation myself. I'd suggest just plopping the CD in and going for it. Worst case is that you'll have to download the OPK later on - best case is that it works without it.

Could you post a link to exactly where you purchased this from?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

I bought XP Pro from NewEgg with the same deal. In order for them to sell it that way you had to buy something else to qualify. If I remember right I bought a power supply splitter connector. I just installed the OS with no problems
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Well....sorry for my confusion, it's the aging :thumbsup:.... but I have about 10 copies of OEM XP (some original XP, some XP SP1, some XP SP2) and I've not had to to anything other than what was indicated for normal install.

I think you've been reading something that was not intended for your level of user.

Louis

#10 commart

commart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

I bought XP Pro from NewEgg with the same deal. In order for them to sell it that way you had to buy something else to qualify. If I remember right I bought a power supply splitter connector. I just installed the OS with no problems
Mark

Bingo.

And thanks.

The package was ordered through New Egg after also purchasing the case, motherboard, Intel processor, DD3 RAM, and a Western Digital drive.

I've added a Seagate Barracuda to the box, also a CD/DVD unit, and I'm about to shut down this machine, swap some wires to the new one and check BIOS to make sure all the hardware has been installed correctly and has been recognized.

Then I'm going to open the XP-SP2b envelope.

The only thing bothering me a little, finally, is off topic or a new thread, and that is putting those drives in the middle case instead of taking advantage of the "wind tunnel" (created by a mid-case fan) designed to cool the bottom bays. There's a front fan bay, not filled, where I've put the drives, so I guess if I'm really worred about cooling, I can get a fan for that.

One thing at a time--if BIOS and hardware check out, I'll let you know how this installation goes.

Edited by commart, 17 November 2007 - 07:06 PM.

#11 commart

commart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Installation of the OEM XP-SP2b package: flawless.

Thank you all for the support.

:thumbsup:

#12 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

:thumbsup: Good to hear it went well.
Now get to Windows Update ASAP and patch it up.
X

#13 commart

commart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

:thumbsup: Good to hear it went well.
Now get to Windows Update ASAP and patch it up.

Thanks.

Done.

On to the next problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users