Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Properly Applying Thermal Gel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 grendelvamp

grendelvamp

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

I am installing a new cpu and motherboard on Monday, when it arrives. I also bought some OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound for installing the heatsink. I'm sure that the fan with have the preapplied thermal paste since it's coming with the fan. I will probably clean it off and use this silver paste instead. I was curious if I should spread it myself or allow the pressure of the heatsink to spread it. I am an avid gamer so the cpu will be stressed quite often. Also b/c of the silver content I am really worried about not over-applying the compound and having it ooze out. How much is enough? I will be applying it on a am2 cpu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

It's hard to describe how much to use, other than it's a lot less than one would think. When you place the heatsink on the processor, it will do the spreading for you (some people do spread it though). If it doesn't, then your fan isn't seated properly. The thermal paste is just meant to fill any irregularities between the CPU and the heatsink. I guess the best description is about the diameter of a medium sized pea. When you place the heatsink down on your cpu, use slow firm pressure to allow the grease to spread, and to not stress the CPU. If you use too little paste, your system will shut itself down, so not a huge issue. If you put too much thermal paste on, and it oozes over the sides, it is possible to create shorts that can do irreparable damage to your system.

After you get your system going, boot into the bios and monitor the temp from there for a few minutes. I'm reasonably sure all boards have the capability to monitor cpu temp by now.

#3 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

will the entire cpu be covered with the past after applying the heatsink?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

Do you mean from using that amount of paste, or from allowing the heatsink to spread the grease?

#5 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

I mean from allowinng the heatsing to spread the grease. should any of the cpu be free of coverage?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

I spread it out with a small square of cardboard. I also lap my heatsinks. It may be overkill, but the surface is nice and smooth
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

No it does not completely cover the cpu.

If it makes you feel better, completely coat everything. There is no right way, or correct amount. If it transfers the heat and does not squirt out on the sides, then it is perfect.

Look at this, maybe it will help:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruc...lecore_wcap.pdf

#8 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

Thanks groovicus, that link helped a lot. I'll repost on Monday and let everyone how everything went.

Thanks again.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

How I spread mine, which decreased my temperature by so much is to put a little on. Then spread it over the processor evenly with my finger. This way you can actually feel when you have a good amount on. I kept smoothing it over the processor and a lot came off on my finger, so I just wiped my finger and continued. Eventually the whole processor was covered, and I could feel the metal on the processor, but couldn't see it. I thought this would be the right amount, and now my processor usually idles at a lower temperature then my hard drive! This is just my way, and theres probably many other better ways. this also got my finger kind of messy, but if you wipe the paste off of your finger right after it comes off pretty well.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

If you look at the CPU from the top you will see a square metal area, this is the heat spreader and is where you apply the thermal compound. The best description that I've heard for the amount to use is a about the size of a piece of rice. You only want the compound on the heat spreader and the heat sink where they mate.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

I usually suggest using grease equivalent to about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice. The issue here is that too much will cause you a lot of problems.

I generally spread it out as thin as I can with my finger tip (then try and remove it from my finger tip! :thumbsup: This thin layer is adequate to maintain contact (since the surfaces are nearly flat anyway) and doesn't leave a lot to slop out over the sides.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users