Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Developing Oo Software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

Right, here I have a question (obviously =]), and I'm more in need of advice than an answer.
Well, I have decided I want to get into the Open source software that we know and love, but I don't really know how I can get into it, if you know what I mean.
I have a good grasp of C++ and some other languages so I would be able to do basic projects or sections.
Basically, will C++ be useful to me and how can I start developing.
Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.
Dan

Edited by groovicus, 17 November 2007 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

The first step is to download the source code and understand what it does and how it works; these means a line by line review.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

Go to Sourceforge, find a project you are interested in, and figure out how to contribute. I'm not sure what "getting into" open source software means....it's not like it's a club or something. :thumbsup:

#4 bad_mouse

bad_mouse

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Yes C++ will be helpful. A lot of the open source software is written in Java, and some in C++ as well. If you want a good introduction to object orientation there are a ton of them on the web but a book I can personally recommend for OO (and Java) , is "Head First Java" by Cathy Sierra and Bates.

Good luck with it, anyway.
Life is for living, Life is not a dress rehearsal, Carpe Diem!

#5 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:09 AM

Go to Sourceforge, find a project you are interested in, and figure out how to contribute. I'm not sure what "getting into" open source software means....it's not like it's a club or something. :thumbsup:

I meant as in getting started delevoping for them. =] Very funny =P.

By the way, I've heard that a lot of Linux is written in Java from others, is this true?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

No that is not true. Linux is an operating system written in C, and probably assembly. Programs written in Java can run on Linux though, as well as on other operating systems.

#7 dkc1657

dkc1657

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hey that's great that you're interested in doing this, I think this is a great way to contribute and learn ... you've given me some ideas here!

I wouldn't worry so much about knowing how to design and create your own classes ... that's a pretty complex topic of how to properly design a class to allow multiple (ie: a large amount) of contributors to one single project. You also don't need to worry so much about objects as those are used when the program is being used.

Chances are that whatever project that you're joining, they already have the parent classes designed. A core group of managers / programmers will be the only group will full admin access to these core classes. What they'll proabably do is ask their contributors to help by assigning them methods / functions that the core programming team has defined (ie: specified in the parent classes what data the method will receive and what must come back and how / in what format). I'm guessing the core team will then pass along a file ... kind of like an empty frame for you to add your code and send it back to them to include it as a child or extension of the parent class.

I could be totally wrong as I've never contributed in this way before to the open source community, but I have been involved in some other programming teams as a contributor.

Right, here I have a question (obviously =]), and I'm more in need of advice than an answer.
Well, I have decided I want to get into the Open source software that we know and love, but I don't really know how I can get into it, if you know what I mean.
I have a good grasp of C++ and some other languages so I would be able to do basic projects or sections.
Basically, will C++ be useful to me and how can I start developing.
Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.
Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users