Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think I Have A Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xtinox

xtinox

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

well, my computer is un-installing Internet Explorer and Windows Media player by itself. Is this a virus? Also im getting error messages that have the name pstrip on the headline of the window and they pop-up about 3 at a time every 30 seconds. Any clues as what this could be?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Can you provide the specific error message and what the pop ups say?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

There is an adware program called Adware.PStrip. See if you have any of the files mentioned in the link below
for PStrip.
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-99&tabid=3

You said IE and WMP were being UNINSTALLED. Did you mean CLOSED?

Have you scanned for malware and if so, which programs?

Do you have another browser such as Firefox?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:11 AM

keep gettin error messages. 3 windows pop up telling me about the errors.
its says this.

Pstrip<<name on top of the message windows
Access violation at address 004027ES. Read of address 00000180

and then i have another problem, i dont know if its related to this or not but i think what this might be is malware. "exploreinet.exe" it shows up on kaspersky as suspicios activity. and my Internet explorer keeps un-installing itself and also my windows media player...weird stuff

i havent scanned for malware and yes i have fire fox

Edited by xtinox, 18 November 2007 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

Googling that file name, I only get a couple responses in nonenglish. I did see Vundo mentioned by name.
Use Vundofix tool in the link below.
http://vundofix.atribune.org/

Super antispyware removes some Vundo infections and many others.
Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

Anytime you come across a suspicious file which you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users