Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having problems connectin to internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:41 AM

Okay, my homebuilt computer is done! Specs are as follows:

ABIT NF7-S V2 MOBO
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Western Digital 80GB HDD (EIDE)
Windows XP Home SP2

My ethernet "wire/cord" is plugged into E2 plug on my DSL modem/router (Westell Versalink Model 327W), and into the onboard ethernet input on MOBO. I have MSN DSL through Verizin Online, but cannot connect to the internet, not even Explorer.

The builtin firewall in XP is turned off, but under my network connections it is only showing connected, whereas my 1st computer is showing enabled. I am at a loss of what to do. Verizon even suggested I buy a new ethernet card, which I did, but to no avail.

Are there any settings I should go through, or properties under that connection? Abit said to ensure that the onboard LAN is enabled in BIOS, but I can't find where that is.
Do I have to set up a home network if this computer does not go through the 1st to connect?

ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

Before you do anything with DSL make sure the filter is between the modem and the wall jack . If not and your provider did not include one in the kit , Walmart sells them for $5 .
Unplug the DSL modem for a minute (It's just a little computer. sometimes it needs to reboot.).
Check the DEVICE MANAGER and make sure the ethernet port is working .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:13 PM

Thank you Acklan for your quick response! I am responding on my new computer that I built all by myself! Not too bad for a ch!ck, huh?! LOL Seriously though, thank you. Along with your suggestion, I had to reinstall drivers for the Mobo. I am now blazing across the Internet! Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:02 PM

Thats great . I'm glad to have been of help. Hang ten .
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users