Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Repair On Dell

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

Hi all, I have a brother that has a Dell on which he has XP Pro which is getting buggy and I would like to run a system repair but have some questions.

I'm not familiar with Dells, do all of them have a repair partition on the hdd, and if so how do I utilize it?

Can I use the disc that came with the computer to run a repair?

Can I just wipe this hdd and use the disc that came with it to reinstall the XP?

Can I use my retail copy of XP to make the installation on a new hdd and use his product code?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

I've seen some Dell's with recovery partitions, but most don't have them. To use it you'd have to locate it through the boot menu and use it from there (try pressing F12 as the system first boots up).

Dells generally come with recovery CD's - and you can use them to do a repair install. The OS CD is usually purple in color - although I've occasionally seen other colors (blue and green come to mind) - but they all say that they're the Operating System disk.

Yes, you can use the Dell CD's to wipe the system and start over. Be sure to install everything from the CD's that you'll need (you can leave out a lot of the add-on stuff if you'd like). It's a tedious process but you'll be able to restore everything including the drivers with it.

You may be able to use your XP CD if it's the proper type of XP (Home, Media Center, Pro) and if it's an OEM CD. If not, it won't accept the product key from the Dell - but the drive will be a new one so you don't have much to lose by trying it. The Dell CD's are preferable tho', as they'll have the drivers that you'll need (where your XP CD won't have them).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:40 AM

Thanks usasma, that's exactly what I needed to know. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users