Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Music To External Hd...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

I didn't know if I should put this under Vista since that's what system I have but here goes. When I rip a CD to my computer the songs go to Media Player. I have an external hard drive I would like to store my music on. How can I transfer the music from Media Player to the external drive? In the future can I rip the music directly to the external hard drive or do I still put them in the Media Player? I haven't done much of this so I guess I need to know the procedure. Thanks.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

I don't know about Media Player, but with a program like CDex, you can rip them to anywhere, you want to.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Mnatty

Mnatty

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

Just change the containing folder where the music will be ripped, to the external HDD

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

If you have the songs in WMP, they will also be in a folder on your computer.
Usually the default location for WMP is My Documents/My Music.
You can also find the location by highlighting the name of song. Right click, Open File Location.
Once you find the central location (ex. My Music), you can move or copy the entire folder to your external drive. If you move them,
you will have to delete the entries in the WMP library, then import them back in from the new location.
Moving will give you some sort of file not found error-of course they aren't there, you moved them.
And if you want to keep them on both drives, but want to have WMP access them from the other drive, you'll have to also to the deleting and importing.

Be warned that if you move the folder, and something is by default downloaded to that folder, the download won't go through because you've moved it to another drive. You'll have to change the folder path for downloads the next time you want to rip from a cd.

After you get it to the external drive, you can then change the location where you want to rip to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users