Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor Onetouch Iii External Usb Hd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

Hi Everyone.

I recently purchased a Maxtor OneTouch III Mini External HD 80GB. I attached it via USB and the drivers were installed. I then proceeded to install the software that came with it.

Here's my problem. Shortly after I connect the device, my computer begins to slow down. Everything I do from opening a window to browsing the internet or reading my email takes a very long time for the command to execute. if I eject the drive via Remove Hardware safely from the System tray, the computer remains slow until I reboot.

Last night I did an image backup of some files which was successfull. When I came back to turn off my computer, it did not respond. I left it overnight and when I checked on it in the morning, it only ended the explorer shell but my desktop wallpaper was still there, hanging. I had to do a hard shutdown.

I also noticed that the light on the Maxtor is always blinking even though there is no activity on the drive.

I've also left a support notice for Maxtor but I thought I would ask the experts here.

Here are my specs:

- 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 533 MHz
- Intel Duo Core, Pentium D, 2.8 GHz
- ATI PCIe x16 Radeon with 512MB RAM
- OS is Vista Home Premium, fully patched
I also made sure I installed the Maxtor software that is Vista compatible straight off the Maxtor website
On the retail box there is a "Works with Windows Vista" logo but requirements do not mention Windows Vista only XP/2000

I formatted one partition on the Maxtor - entire space, NTFS, Primary Partition

Any clues to this slowdown??

Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

I'd suggest checking the Event Viewer by going to Start and typing in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter. Click on the arrow by the Windows logs, then check the System log (and maybe also the Application log) for errors when plugging the drive in, and for errors when the slowdown occurs.

I've learned that "Works with Windows Vista" is shorthand for "We made this thing before Vista came out - and in order for it to work with Vista you'll have to download the appropriate software from our website."
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

I looked in the event viewer under "System" and I found a few errors which occured around the time of my computer slowdown. Here they are listed below:

1) Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode
Date: 11/17/2007 9:00:09 PM
Event ID: 10111
Task Category: User-mode Driver problems.
Level: Critical
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Dell5150
Description:
The device USB FLASH DRIVE (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

2) Log Name: System
Date: 11/17/2007 8:59:56 PM
Event ID: 10111
Keywords:
Description:
The device Flash Disk (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

3) Log Name: System
Date: 11/17/2007 8:59:56 PM
Event ID: 10110
Keywords:
Description:
A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

I have no clue what these errors mean or if they are even related. :thumbsup:

I tried to look for an updated driver but the only thing I found on the Maxtor site was the installation software, and I used the latest. Also, Vista installed it's own driver when I plugged the device in for the first time. I went to Device Manager and checked for a driver update online, it said I had the latest driver.

What next? :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:58 AM

I dunno what's next :thumbsup: You've got a crashing driver for your USB device (which is likely causing the problems that you're experiencing)

I would suggest that you uninstall the Maxtor software - and uninstall the driver for the device in Device Manager. Then reboot and see what happens when you plug the drive in without the software installed. If the same errors are generated - then it's likely to be either a problem with the drive (you can run their diagnostics to confirm/refute this), a problem with the USB drivers on your motherboard (which you can uninstall and then install updated drivers from the manufacturer's website), or a corruption with Windows (but I don't think that this is the problem).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. :huh:

I ran the diagnostics on the drive and no problems were found. I'm going to do the rest tonight after work and see what happens.

A couple of other things I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if it matters.

The mobo is a DELL brand with an Intel 945G chipset. I have the latest chipset driver from Intel and there are no further updates on the motherboard from the Dell site.
My power supply is 305W. The Maxtor has a red and black USB cable. I had the slowdown with the red one connected so I attached the black one as well. It did NOT make a difference.

I'll let you know tomorrow, thanks again! :thumbsup:

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

Today, I installed the Maxtor on my Windows 2000 laptop system. I plugged in the drive and Windows loaded the driver for the HD. No slowdowns. Then I installed the Maxtor software and rebooted the system. After playing around with the drive and doing a few file management utilities, the computer was still running at normal speed....no slowdowns whatsoever.

I also noticed that Maxtor's activity light was solid instead of always blinking like it did on the Vista machine. The only time it would blink on the 2000 machine is when I was accessing it.

And yet, my 2000 is only 256MB of RAM w a Pentium 3 processor. :thumbsup:

So, it's NOT the Maxtor but either the Vista version of the software or a Vista compatibility issue.

Tonight, I'll plug the drive into the Vista comp and NOT install the software. If there are no issues, then there's a problem with the software, if there is a slowdown, then it's a compatibility issue with the drive to Vista.

No questions in this post...I like to put my solution steps on paper (or forum board) :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users