Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Someone Explain Crypto For Me?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 m1kko

m1kko

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:16 AM

hi folks, of the 4 pc`s in my home (all running xp pro sp2) one has this 4mb file within All users/application data called Crypto/machine keys and its making my AV scan logs(NOD 32) massive as every entry in this file comes up on the scan log. In looking around with mr google I can now say I know what its related to but it would be great to know what program is utilising it and wether it can be pruned a little maybe.
As it happens this is my wife`s pc and she does a lot of Ebaying so thats probably the culprit but it would be nice to know. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

Don't have a clue what this is but you can try excluding this thing from being scanned by Nod32 under AMON>setup>exclusions.
This won't effect Nod32 from detecting a virus that may creep into whatever this crypto thing is.
X

#3 m1kko

m1kko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for that Tom , I did know how to exclude it from scanning but that doesn't answer the question.
As its a microsoft program related to certificate exchange I don't think there's anything malicious but this is the sort of function that would be a prime target of those wanting to corrupt so i'm loathe to exclude it.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Some type of keylogger or encryption application? Maybe post a Hijack This log to be safe
Hijack This preparation guide
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 18 November 2007 - 05:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 m1kko

m1kko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:53 AM

Some type of keylogger or encryption application?

Perhaps if i show the full path C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys maybe you will understand that its a "normal" file thats on every XP OS .The thing I cant find out is(A)why its so big and (B, is it critical to remain unchanged.?

Dont think i dont appreciate your efforts and thanks for them.I understand the answer to this would probably be buried somewhere in the MSKB but who's got the time. Really im just hoping a supergeek is browsing and needs a challenge. :thumbsup:

Edited by m1kko, 19 November 2007 - 04:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users