Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 john1234

john1234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:03 AM

ok a little background ...

started up my computer and the resoloution was much smaller so..

checked display driver it had changed to vgasave or something to that effect..

went to hp sight to get the right driver nvida geoforce go 6000 ...

installed driver and reboot..

no change checked device manager it said there was not enuff resources for the device and to disable other devices

picked a few usless devices modem, sound card, no effect came back after restart

so i tryed to find the vgasave in the device manager wasent there i found it under the driver tab in the display settings

disabled it than rebooted

after the windows logo disapears the scerrn goes blank i have control but i cant see what i am doing cant rember how to find the settings without seeing them

the boot options

safe mode freezes after crcdisk.sys

enable low resolution video seems to freeze instantly

repair your computer requiers a disk that dident come with the computer

debugiing mode acts like a normal startup with a blanck screen

any suggestions appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jerry s

jerry s

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:05 AM

Same here....

running a laptop computer with Vista Ultima 64 bits and 4 Gb memory.
Windows is installed on C:. Yesterday evening closed the laptop, which would normally would set the laptop to "sleep".
The very same evening opened the monitor again, and after logging in I got a blue screen which dissapeared before I could read it.
After that the screen went black. Trying restarting the system didn't work. All I get is a black screen incl. the mouse-pointer.
Keyboard and touchpad is working normal, but the system refuses to start. Tried everything, including startup repair... still nothing.

Need help badly... everything is poining to a new installation of Vista and loss of all of my documents and installed programs...

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

I suspect that your video driver is corrupted and that disabling the vgasave resulted in the inability to reboot.

FWIW - I don't recommend updating hardware drivers unless you're having a specific problem with them - and then I suggest visiting the nVidia website ( http://www.nvidia.com ) to update your drivers (rather than the HP website).

Now, what to do? You'll have to launch Startup Repair by pressing F8 as the computer just starts to boot Windows. Follow the steps there and hopefully it'll diagnose and repair both the video driver and the vgasave option. If not, you'll have to resort to the inbuilt HP recovery tools (I believe it's F11 at the BIOS POST screen.

This may wipe out your data - so post back if you need assistance on saving what's on the hard drive now.

Edited by usasma, 17 November 2007 - 08:13 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users