Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R A M Increase And Paging File Increase?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:43 AM

Rule of thumb is paging file set at 1.5x the amount of physical RAM.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my second 1GB stick of RAM and it just occurred to me, with the doubling of the physical RAM what possible benefit would one gain by increasing the Paging File at the same time.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:05 AM

You will notice the increase of speed with the second module but I doubt that you will appreciate any change in the virtual memory.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

Well, when there's more room in the physical RAM, it would seem that there would be less need for a paging file - but this isn't necessarily the case. Some programs insist upon a paging file (video games in particular) and need it to operate - so the rule should still hold.

The 1.5x rule is a generalization based on how Windows does stuff - and it doesn't consider unusual situations or programs that don't behave as Windows expects they should.

I've got 4 gB of RAM and only a 1 gB pagefile on my Vista system. I've had some issues with delays recently that are causing me to consider increasing the size of the pagefile (but I'm just too lazy to get around to it). Back when I had Windows XP, I did away with the page file (with 4 gB of RAM) for 6 months without any problems. And put the pagefile back when a game insisted on having one.

The best way (IMO) to adjust the pagefile size is by watching it in Task Manager and resizing it according to what you see there. If you'd like to monitor it, I found this article that tells how to setup monitoring in XP (haven't tried it myself): http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-5073570.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

Thanks John

WOW, that looks complicated but will definitely give it a go. For yonks I have been wondering if there was a way to have TaskManager start up first so I could see bootup progress, instead of waiting till about half way through the process.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

After all these years I still don't understand a lot about Windows starting up, but....

I did add an entry in the HKLM....Run registry key for C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe (in my XP VM) and it did launch Task Manager as soon as I logged on. I did note that I had had to close Task Manager with the Processes tab in front before doing this (in order for it to load with the Process tab up front).

IMO a better tool for this is Bootvis (available for free here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664 ) - but I haven't used it in a while. Google for it and you'll find the wikipedia link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BootVis but not much else. There used to be a white paper available from Microsoft (for OEM builders) that discussed the tool in great detail - but I can't seem to locate it with Google.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for that John.

From Wikipedia: The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP.
which I guess is a good thing.

Also: Microsoft's design goals for Windows XP on a typical consumer PC are:
  • Boot to a usable state within a total of 30 seconds
  • Resume from Hibernate (S4) within a total of 20 seconds
  • Resume from Standby (S3) within a total of 5 seconds. (I wish. Takes about 7 minutes from whoa to go on my machine after pushing Restart). I usually have 75+ processes running - I have a dungout quite regularly but a lot of stuff just has to run at startup so patience is the price you pay. Just checked msconfig and there are 39 items but there are none I would want, or be game, to stop.
Well, the courier has just knocked on the door with my new stick of RAM so guess what I'll be doing for the next 10 minutes. :thumbsup:
I have a 2GB Paging File so think I will just leave that at the moment.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

Update.

Well that all went without drama. Everything recognised. RAM usage down 50%, (funny that. LOL) but the interesting thing is that, while doing absolutely nothing, the Page File usage has only dropped from 935MB to 785MB. It would appear that a PageFile is necessary regardless.
It would be interesting to know what is in that pagefile.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

Lot's of people refute Microsoft's claim that Bootvis is built into the XP optimization routine. As I recall from reading the white paper, that may not be 100% accurate - and running Bootvis will allow you to see what's causing the lag.

A pagefile isn't needed for Windows to operate. But Windows will use it if it's available. I went without a pagefile for about 6 months - until a game that I wanted to play insisted that I have one - so I turned it on and it's been that way since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users