Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse/keyboard Won't Work. Bootup Problem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chip194

Chip194

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem. Yesterday after manually updating Vista from microsoft website it asked me to restart. I've always allowed it to automatically update once every 24hours but this time I happened to be at microsofts website and decided to do it manually. I did and this is where my problem began...

It restarted and booted to windows with no visual problem. However, I noticed my mouse and keyboard did not work. I tried other usb ports (including the front) to no avail. I removed my printer,microphone and card reader usbs and tried the keyboard/mouse again, it did not work. I did try the keyboard/mouse in another computer and they worked perfectly. So i ruled out a periphereal failure.

I later booted from the Vista Reinstall disc and my keyboard and mouse worked fine. So from here, I realized it's likely a file or two corrupt or not working correctly during bootup. When prompted whether I would like to go to a safemode or normal boot up my keyboard worked fine as it accepted the <enter> and scrolling keys. However, once in windows safemode my keyboard/mouse or any usb device would not work.

Is there some deleting or switching around of bootup files I can work with from the command prompt:?

Appreciate any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:03 AM

If the input devices don't work from within Windows - IMO there's an issue either with your USB drivers and their support of the OS, or it's a corruption of Windows.

To start, I'd try a PS2 mouse and keyboard to see if they work OK. If they do, then Windows is likely to be alright.
Then I'd look into your BIOS to ensure that legacy USB support is enabled, and to ensure that you've specified that you have a PnP OS installed.
Should that not work, then I'd suggest trying a repair installation of Vista: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users