Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Connections Is Empty

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pandorya

Pandorya

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me as this problem has me stumped.

I was attempting to set up a static IP, and was following the steps listed in a guide. When it told me to go in to my Network Connections and click on my active connection, I didn't even see one in my Network Connections folder.

Now, I know I used to have a LAN icon/connection icon, and it would pop up in my tray etc... This is the first time I have noticed it is missing, since I never bother to look there anymore.

There was one icon in there, but it was a square icon and didn't offer me anything other than to enable or disable programs from accessing or being accessed by the internet.

I went in to Advanced>Optional Networking Components and unchecked 'Networking Services" and "Management and Monitoring Tools", stupidly thinking it would install them, when it actually removed them. When I try to install them again, it asks for me to insert my CD, but I don't have that anymore as my computer would not read it anymore for some reason, so I tossed it.

Anyways, that is all I did prior to my problem, but I think the problem was there before, but I made it worse by uninstalling those components perhaps?

I have searched the internet for fixes, and have tried doing the main thing they say to do with an empty network connectiosn box, which is...

6. Verify that the network DLL files are registered correctly:
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. Type cmd.exe, and then click OK.
c. Type the following lines, and then press ENTER after you type each line. Click OK when the RegSvr32 dialog box appears for each command.
regsvr32 netshell.dll
regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 netman.dll
d. Restart the computer.

It didn't work.

When I go to Start>Connect to> There is nothing there 0_0

It is like I do not even have an active connection, and yet I have no problems accessing the internet.

I fear messing around too much now that I am not in a territory I am familiar with, so I come to you now for help.

I am running Windows XP
I use a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS)
I use AVG anti-spyware
I have windows firewall turned off

^ I am not sure what other information you may need, so just let me know and I will get it for you.

Thank you if you can help me, I need to get in to my connection properties if I can FIND my connection :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 17 November 2007 - 12:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ecyoj

ecyoj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:23 AM

hi Pandorya, guess we have the same problem.. I messed up with the network settings and I can't find the icons in my Control Panel->Network Connections, but I can dial a connection, I tried creating one using Internet Options under Control Panel, it worked:

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> then click Add button which will help you create a new connection

I have Internet access now, but I would like to see the Icons in the Network Connections

I tried your post:

6. Verify that the network DLL files are registered correctly:
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. Type cmd.exe, and then click OK.
c. Type the following lines, and then press ENTER after you type each line. Click OK when the RegSvr32 dialog box appears for each command.
regsvr32 netshell.dll
regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 netman.dll
d. Restart the computer.

but when I go to Start ->Connect to -> There is nothing there and the Network Connections folder is still empty, I tried creating a new connection again there but whenever I refresh the page the icon that I just created disappears, help pls!!!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

I would suggest:
XP - going to Start...Run...and typing in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter
Vista - going to Start and typing in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter

Look to see if there are any red x's or yellow !'s - particularly on your Network Adapters. If so, the appropriate driver may not be installed - and Windows may be using a generic driver that doesn't support the features that you're trying to use.

OTOH - this could be related to malware, so you may want to try a few free, online scans to rule that out:
http://safety.live.com (requires IE - for Vista it'll offer another scan to use)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Pandorya

Pandorya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

I would suggest:
XP - going to Start...Run...and typing in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter
Vista - going to Start and typing in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter

Look to see if there are any red x's or yellow !'s - particularly on your Network Adapters. If so, the appropriate driver may not be installed - and Windows may be using a generic driver that doesn't support the features that you're trying to use.

OTOH - this could be related to malware, so you may want to try a few free, online scans to rule that out:
http://safety.live.com (requires IE - for Vista it'll offer another scan to use)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Thank you for your reply.

When I ran devmgmt.msc, there was nothing in the manager, it was totally empty. Not sure what that means 0_o

I am running the safety scan, but I ran housecall about two days ago. I will edit this if something changes after the safety scan.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

Try compmgmt.msc It'll open another window with a lot more info than devmgmt.msc If that's blank also, then there's some serious problems with your system. I'd suggest rerunning the housecall scan again also.

Did you remove any viruses recently? If so, this would complicate things as we're not sure if it's a remnant of the virus causing the damage or another virus that's causing it. I'd suggest following the steps in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Pandorya

Pandorya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

Try compmgmt.msc It'll open another window with a lot more info than devmgmt.msc If that's blank also, then there's some serious problems with your system. I'd suggest rerunning the housecall scan again also.

Did you remove any viruses recently? If so, this would complicate things as we're not sure if it's a remnant of the virus causing the damage or another virus that's causing it. I'd suggest following the steps in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Compmgmt.msc brings up a bunch of stuff. The device manager section in the computer management is still empty, but other sections are not empty.

I will run housecall again, and the safety check decided to have an error while I was at work, so I will have to try it again.

I had a pretty bad virus about a month ago, and had to manually remove some parts, and I used a patch for others. I believe the patch did chance some entries in the registry.

Oy. A mess. What part of that "am I infected" section of the forum did you want me to follow? Should I just browse around in there to see if something looks like my problem?

Question... would posting a hijackthis log do any good with an issue like this? This is where I wish I was far more tech savvy.

Thank you for your continued help, I really appreciate it.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

So, it looks like your MMC.EXE isn't broken (it's the program that loads the .msc files) - so it's probably that only the devmgmt.msc file is messed up (or one of the other functions that it's associated with).

I don't do anything with HJT logs - I tried it a couple of years ago and it's way too much for my old head to handle! :thumbsup: I also stay away from fixing virus infections because my approach isn't the best for most people (I try a couple of scans and if it doesn't go away - I reformat and reinstall Windows. Which loses all the information on my drive)

Cruise around the Am I Infected? forum and post there to see what advice you get. The error in the safety.live.com may be indicative of an active infection. The folks who hang out there are far more experienced with malware infections than I am (I don't visit that forum myself), so I'd rely on their advice.

I think that there's some issues with your Windows installation from the previous virus removal. But there's also a chance that you're still infected. If there is an infection it's got to be cleaned out before we start repairs - otherwise the repairs won't work properly, and they may even make the virus even harder to remove.

So post your questions to the Am I Infected? forum. Once you're sure that you're not infected - then post back here to start fixing the damage that the virus has caused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users