Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.net Framework

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:41 PM

Well, I've wandered around my computer's innards as best I can, but I can't find any sign of .NET Framework. I know it's installed since I have a couple of apps that wouldn't run without it, but I just can't find it, and it doesn't show up by that name in my Belarc report, either. :thumbsup:

I need the version number because I'd like to download a large program that requires version 3.0. Being on slow dialup, I try not to download large files unless I know I can use them. Can anyone help me find the number?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

Well, I wonder if I haven't just answered my own question. I found it in the add/remove panel as version 1.1. But what confuses me, since I have Vista Home Premium is this comment that I found in the Overview of version 3.0 on this page at Microsoft:

.NET Framework 3.0

"The .NET Framework 3.0 is included as part of the Windows Vista™ operating system; you can install it or uninstall it using Windows Features Control Panel."

Huh?

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:19 AM

Hi Dialer

I haven't deliberately downloaded any .NET, but my ADD/REMOVE shows MS .NET Framework 1.1 (plus a 1.1 Hotfix), Vs 2 and Vs 3(and I don't have Vista on this machine. LOL).

Do you have Automatic Updates enabled? If not, go to Microsoft Update and see what it says is needed for your machine. If .Net is not included, then you will have to download them if they are necessary for programs you are running.

Good luck

EDIT: Just checked my Vista machine and there was no sign of the .NET Framework in Add/Remove there so I downloaded Vs 2 and was informed that it was already installed as part of the Operating System. Shows up under Computer/LocalDisk©/Windows. Suggest you check your machine there.

Edited by rowal5555, 17 November 2007 - 03:42 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:48 AM

Good morning (evening?) Rob,

This is soooo confusing. No I don't do auto downloads, and I do recall some .NET Framework updates that I accepted. I knew I had .NET Framework on my machine, so I figured they wouldn't be offered if they weren't applicable. (Silly me!) :flowers: So I searched my update history and found these two updates:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB929916)
The KB returned this article, and I got absolutely no useful info from it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929916

Update for .NET Framework 3.0 x86 (KB932471)
This article makes it seem as though the update has absolutely no relation to anything on my Vista Home Premium OS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932471/en-us

Yikes! I found all of these under Windows\Microsoft .NET: v1.0.3705 (just a few files), v1.1.4322 (lots of files), v2.0.50727 (lots of files), and v3.0 (just a few files). Too confusing for me. I think I'll just have to download the large program in question (the one that requires v3) and see if it runs.

Thanks so much for your help, Rob. :thumbsup: Fold on!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

Try going to Control Panel (Classic View)...Programs and Features...Turn Windows features on or off and see if it's there (I've just repaired my Vista installation and all it shows is .NET 3.0 - but I've got 86 updates waiting to install!).

Here's the download links for the different versions:
.NET v1.1 download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
.NET v2.0 download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
.NET v3.0 download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hi Mr. Crankypants. (I've been waiting for a chance to say that.) :thumbsup: Thanks so much for your reply.

Turn Windows features on or off and see if it's there

I'm in classic view, but I can't find any options for turning Windows feature on or off. Or is that what you meant? In any event, .NET is not listed there.

...but I've got 86 updates waiting to install!

Yikers! I'd hate to have to do that on my slow dialup connection.

I appreciate your giving me those links and will check them out after I understand how to turn the Windows features on or off. Funny thing, I use classic view for just about everything in Vista but the Control Panel. BTW, I have Vista Home Premium, if that makes any difference.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

On the left side of the Programs and Features window (the old Add/Remove Programs dialog) there's a list of links - and the Turn Windows Features on or off should be the last one there.

Since you're on dialup - you may want to download the redistributables for the .NET stuff on a faster connection and then carry them over to your system. .NET v1.1 is 23.1 mB , .NET v2.0 is 22.4 mB , .NET v3.0 is 2.8 mB

As for the 86 updates I've got waiting - I've got a program at work that has most of them stored on a CD so I'll use that when I get around to doing it (I don't reboot very often). The CD will install all the .NET stuff and other optional updates if I choose them - but it'll still take a while for the system to grind through them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

Programs and Features

Oh, duh. I forgot to go Programs and Features. :thumbsup:

Yes, v3.0 is there. And of its three folders --

Windows Communications Foundation HTTP Activation
Windows Communications Foundation non-HTTP Activation
XPS Viewer

-- only XPS Viewer is checked. So does that mean that all is well? Do you think I really need to download anything?

2.8 MB is doable at home. The larger files I'd have to download onto my external HD at the library, which I've done from time to time.

As for the 86 updates I've got waiting - I've got a program at work that has most of them stored on a CD....

This is somewhat OT.... Is there any way that I can do all my Windows updates as individual downloads to my desktop rather than letting MS download and install? It does help that I don't allow auto updates, but still, it can take what seems like forever.

Thanks again!

Edited by Dialer, 17 November 2007 - 11:50 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

Yes, there is a way but I haven't done it since Windows 98. As I recall it was a section of Windows Update for Network Administrators - but can't locate it now. Another way would be to locate the KB article for the update to see if there's a download available there.

#10 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:12 AM

Thanks, John, the KB article search sounds like a good idea.

I appreciate all your help in this odd and fuzzy area of .NET Framework. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users