Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Usb Ethernet Converter Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jt657

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have a USB to Ethernet converter, and have installed the drivers. However it says "network cable unplugged" even when all cables are connected. I used to have a different converter which broke, mabye the drivers from that are affecting it? I can't seem to locate the old drivers and get rid of them, and I'm not sure what to do from here. To make things worse when I try to get into Safe Mode my laptop wont let me, and just says somthing about system 32 and eventually restarts normally. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

Are you referring to something like this
Do you have a spare network cable you can try?
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jt657

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

its more like this. i do have a spare cable and I have tried it, its not that I'm afraid.

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

what OS are you using? what is the make and model of motherboard? what bios revision?

#5 hamluis

• 55,008 posts
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:19 AM

<<However it says "network cable unplugged" even when all cables are connected.>>

That message also appears if the NIC is bad (and Device Manager reflects a working NIC).

I just experienced this with my onboard NIC 2 days ago, solved by simply installing a PCI NIC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users